SNA Doseage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huesmann

Reaction score
So I've done some cursory searching but ha'n't found a clear answer. When performing Staggered Nutrient Addition, it's recommended to add nutrient/energizer when you pitch your yeast, and at the 1/3 sugar break. But how much nutrient/energizer do you add?

For example, say you have a nutrient that says to use 1 tsp per gallon, and you have a 3-gallon batch. Do you add 3 tsp at the beginning and 3 additional tsp at the 1/3 sugar break? Or do you add 1 tsp at the beginning and 2 tsp at the 1/3 sugar break? Or 2 tsp at the beginning and 1 tsp at the 1/3 sugar break? Half and half? Some other proportion?

No set limits one way or another.....

How much ? Dunno..... you'd need to know how much nitrogen is provided in ppm per gramme per litre. In my blog there's a link to the Zymurgy article about nutrients etc, by Ken Schramm.

There is an academic paper out there (sorry no link) that explains that you can use up to 85%of the total with the last 15% being added on or before the 1/3rd break.......

The issue is, that while its easy to find how much nitrogen is provided by DAP, the only energiser provider that publish that detail is Lallemand for the Fermaid range.......

I usually do 50/50 or some combination of 30/30/30 but its really all personal opinion unless you really wanna get really paricular about the science. If you do, (more power to you) FB's post is the way to go. But staggering at all goes a long way to helping prevent stuck ferments.

DAP provides 200ppm per gramme per litre, Fermaidk provides 120ppm per gramme per litre and FermaidO provides 40ppm per gramme per litre (the O is for organic so it's useful for late nutrient additions).

If you use just one, then the one (s) to use are the fermaid "energiser". The DAP is a quick and cheaper way of boosting nitrogen. Personally I do 2 parts fermaidk to 1 part DAP.

I work out my total requirements then split it up how I think necessary. .....

Back