SN Coffee Stout recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happywanderer

Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm going to attempt a SN Coffee Stout clone. I need feedback on the recipe I've put together based on SN info.

5.5gal batch
6.75 pre-boil volume

11lbs UK 2-row pale (2*L)
1lb UK Chocolate (425*L)
2lb UK Brown (60*L)
.5lb Crystal 60
.5lb Wheat Malt (2*L)

.75oz Nugget at 60mins
.75oz Nugget at 15mins

WLP007 (1L starterx2)

.5 Liter of Cold brewed espresso roast coffee added at bottling.

Mash @ 152-153 for 60mins ~5.5 gal or 1.5qt/lb thickness
Batch sparge with ~3.5 gal 170* water.

Expected OG 1.070
Expected FG 1.018

Thoughts? Different yeast perhaps? Add some roast cacao nibs to the cold-press coffee?

I've brewed a few stouts lately, love them in the winter. My only note would be that nibs usually work better with some time in secondary. I actually do my coffee in secondary as well. I think that all of the flavors meld better aging in the full volume together and lead to more consistent taste.
Sounds like a great roasty coffee stout!

I made a coffee stout a couple of months back. It turned out to be crap; great flavor but poor carbonation. I used Danstar’s Nottingham yeast, which was a mistake in retrospect. I also made a coffee toddy and added it to secondary rather than at bottling time. I’m going to play around with my recipe to see if I can get it right next time. Good luck.

I added a pound of coffee kiln malt to a Guinness clone recipe I had made two weeks ago and the garage adjacent to my brew pot smelled like freshly brewed coffee during the boil. A coffee aroma and taste was apparent even with a nice amount of roasted barley and chocolate malt in the base recipe. The final gravity was only in the 1.050 range (draft version) so you might have to add more than a pound for it to stand out with an expected SG of 1.070. Plus I only aged it a few days in the keg so I'm not sure how the taste would hold up to prolonged aging. The WLP004 yeast I used also added some interesting flavors. Just a thought.

Alright. I'll add coffee to secondary instead of at bottling.

I'll play around with the amounts and see about adding more chocolate.

Latest posts

Back