Smoked lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oylerck

Reaction score
Worth a shot. I smoked some grain on Monday and put it back into the grain sack. (Only 3 lbs left in it.) smoked for 4 hours, although I didn't spray the grains. Didn't think it was smoky at all.

Open the grain sack today and it smelled amazing, like a smokehouse or your favorite BBQ sauce. We will see.

Using cascade because it's what I have, but I'm wondering if a citra or something pineapply would be better as a background hop flavor. Never know until you try.

What do you think?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498926236.213822.jpg

Too much cascade at the end, good flavor just not balanced. Almost an IPL... those just taste like hop water to me. The smoke never came through either... so next time I will have to spray to get the grain moistened.

Good try. I like experimenting with my beers even if it goes against the brewing grain. I did an all Chinook IPL. Very grapefruity and yummy.

I must say I was wrong about this beer. 3 days later I cannot agree with my statement above about it being an ipl. This is a pretty tasty lager that is only 2 weeks old. Gelatin does wonders. Vienna malt is coming through even though this is a pale lager and I can taste hints of cascade.

Too bad this beer will not reach maturity because it will be gone quickly. I brewed it on the first and used temp control for fermentation. Had a 4 day lag because my fermentation temp was too low.42 is cold. 53 worked better. Did a diacetyl rest for 4 days and the cold crashed. Transfer, fined with gelatin and carbed on Monday. Gelatin seems to eliminate the aging process quickly.

Back