Smoked Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matbase

Reaction score
Hi

I'd like some help with a smoked imperial stout recepie. I have a book with the recepie below and inted to do a 1 gallon brew in a glass carboy then transfer it to another glass carboy with a screw top lid for aging/carbonation to be bottled later. Im new to brewing with one successful bitter ale under my beltm planning to be a brew course but until then I thought I would give an imperial stout a shot. I like BIG rosted and chocolate malt flavours and typical amercian stouts. I's love small addition of smoked malts which is available to me and a light just detectable hop flavour. So would like to adapt the recepie to be smoked and substitue the stuff thats unavailable

Ingredients 5 gallon 1 gallon
Grams Grams

Water 17 3.4
Cara caramel pils
malt 73 14.6
Chocolate malt 63 12.6
Black malt 63 12.6
Dehusked crafar
III malt 63 12.6 (unavailable)
Honey malt 150 30 (unavailable)
Cara 45 malt 150 30 (unavailable)
Dry dark Malt
extract 5.4 1.08
Turbinado 340 68 (unavailable)
Magnum hops 15 3 (unavailable)
5 3
Sterling hops 35 7 (unavailable)

Any help would be much appreciated

Kind regards
Matt

Did you copy the recipe correctly? It looks like you have more Turbinado sugar* than anything else (150 g), and bunch of Caramel malts, and a tiny amount of dark DME (5.4 g). Should that 5.4 be in kg?

*Raw sugar. You could possibly substitute a mixture of white and light brown sugars.

Your recipe is incomprehensible, at least on my iPad. And I don't see any smoked malt?

I can't make heads or tails of that, either. Except for the "crafar" malt, which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want anywhere near my beers! :D

Hi
On posting it changed the formatting and everthing is out of wack so I try again for the 1 gallon bew

Cara caramel pils malt 15g
Chocolate malt 13g
Black malt 13g
Dehusked crafar III malt 13g (unavailable)
Honey malt 30g (unavailabe)
cara 45 malt (unavailable)
Dark DME 1.08 kg
Tyrbinado 70g
Magnum hops 6g
Sterling hops 7g

Nothing smoked in there yet because Im not sure what to substitute it for

Cheers
Matt

Asssuming that all of your hops are added for a 60 minutes boil, then running all of this through TastyBrew, I get OG = 1.111, FG = 1.028, ABV = 10.7, IBU = 84, SRM = 50.

Your base for this beer is dark DME, and that's likely to give you an excessively, probably unpleasantly harsh, roasted flavor. You might consider swapping the dark for light and amber. If you replaced the 1 kg of dark DME with 500 g light DME and 500 g amber DME, you might get a better base flavor.

You also have both black patent and Carafa III, which are similar, except that the Carafa shouldn't give the astringent and harsh flavor that black patent can contribute. You could try to replace the Carafa, or possibly both that and the black patent, with smoked malt. It would only be 1-3% of your grist, and that might be enough.

There are few good substitutes for honey malt. The closest might be Crystal 20L. Turbinado sugar is, as I mentioned earlier, just raw sugar. Any sugar would probably work here, but light brown is probably the closest to turbinado.

Your hops, if these are both 60 minute additions, won't be light and just detectable. For this OG, balanced would be 45-50 IBU. Making them first wort hops, or 20 minute additions, would get you to just over 50 IBU. There are plenty of ways to add your hops to get you to under 50 IBU, and you can play with any number of recipe calculators to work out a suitable hopping schedule.

Back