Smoked baltic-ish porter recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHound12

Reaction score
Never made a porter before much less a smoked beer but after looking at a bunch of recipes I came up with a recipe of my own. Looking for a full bodied porter with some back end smokiness. What do you guys think?? Thanks in advance!!

6# MO
4# Smoked malt
1.5# Brown malt
.5 Special B
.5 Chocolate

.5 Northern Brewer 60
.5 Northern Brewer 30
1 EKG 10

Yeast: To be determined

OG: 1.059
IBU: 32
SRM: 29

As a Porter it looks fine. Brown malt is great in a porter, and 4# of rauchmalt (i assume thats what you mean by smoked malt) will give a noticeable/medium smokiness depending on how fresh the malt you get is. personally id go with the english extra dark crystal if you have it available, but its a minor difference, special b can give a harsher burnt sugar taste in my opinion.

Semantically, a baltic porter is different, it usually has a pils/munich base, debittered dark malts, made with a lager yeast, and around 8%. This is just a smoked porter.

Ok I'll take a look to see if my LHBS has the extra daark crystal... besides that do you think I'm on the right track to making a decent beer?

It looks good to me. Probably more my thing than a Baltic (which are more clean, malty, sweetish). I'd go ahead with it, specially if you can replace the Special B. I like the 29SRM as well and the late EKG.

Back