Smoked and unsmoked Pale Ale idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've got an idea for making two batches of about the same pale ale, one smoked one "normal", any thoughts on these recipes?

What I'm going for is a mildly hopped beer, and to do both smoked and not smoked batches. This is for a special event at work in June.

Smoked:
6 Pounds of dry malt extract
2 pounds of Rauchmalt or similar smoked malt (stepped for half an hour at about 170F)
1 oz. cascade hops pellets (bittering)
0.5 oz cascade hops (flavor)
0.5 oz cascade hops (aroma)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)

Non-smoked:
6 pounds of dry malt extract
2 pounds of aromatic malt (stepped)
1 oz. cascade hops pellets (bittering)
0.5 oz cascade hops (flavor)
0.5 oz cascade hops (aroma)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)

I'd make it now and test it with your friends, smoked beers tend to be a love it or hate type thing.

Sounds like a cool experiment. If it was me, the only thing I'd change would be the temperature that I'd steep the Smoked malt at. Why not steep it at mashing temperatures (~148-155F)?

Sounds like a cool experiment. If it was me, the only thing I'd change would be the temperature that I'd steep the Smoked malt at. Why not steep it at mashing temperatures (~148-155F)?

+1. Rauchmalt and other smoked malts are typically a 2-row base malt. Steeping that high will give you smoke flavor and aroma, but could possibly do more harm than good. Steep around 152-155 for 30-45 min.

EDIT: Aromatic also has diastatic power, so mash that as well, though you might want to back off on it a bit. Can be quite overpowering.

Back