smoke oatmeal in the smoker for an oatmean stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello community!

Super excited to be here, I've brewed a couple batches of beer, some hard cider, now I want to experiment with my creations(I use extract kits though).

My next beer that I want to brew is an oatmeal stout, I know the kit comes with oatmeal flakes, but I'm thinking of adding more oatmeal. The added oatmeal that I want to add I want to smoke it with maple wood so it adds a hint of smokey flavor.

I guess I have 2 questions: Has anyone ever smoked oatmeal before for their beer?( or smoked any ingredients for their beer?) And my other question is, would 4 ounces be a good amount to add to the beer?(5 gallon batch)

I've had beer which had oak chips in it(hated it), and beer aged in wood barrels(hated it, too much wood flavor for me) but I'm thinking a slight smoked flavor will be fantastic!:rockin:

Thanks community!

Tagged, sorry I can't offer any input but interested to see how this goes.

There is smoked malt, so smoked oatmeal stands to reason....

Some home brewers smoke their own, some buy it that way. If you make your own, go easy; smoke flavor gets big fast and can dominate the profile -- not in a good way IMHO.

Following with great interest. I have used smoked grains, including my own. One thing to keep in mind, low heat, plenty of smoke. I would hazard to guess you would shoot for no more than 200°F and smoke for around 2 hours. Be careful not to over toast. Good luck and post your outcome!

thanks for all the input guys. I just racked my honey porter into the secondary so now I have a bucket for primary.

I'm picking up the ingredients friday at my local brew store, so I'll ask them about their thoughts and ideas about the amount of added oatmeal.

I have an electric smoker that I plan on using. I'll get her coils super hot so she's smoking like a chimney then add the oatmeal and make sure the temp stays well under 200, hopefully close to 165-185. I plan on smoking 3 batches, one batch for 90 minutes and one for 2 hours, followed by a batch of baby back ribs(after the oatmeal is out duh). I figured for such a small amount of oatmeal I'll have a couple of batches in case I feel like 2 hours produced oats that are too toasty or smokey or both.

I plan on doing this either friday night or saturday night. I'll def keep you guys posted and updated on the brew.

Quick update on the brew...
I ended up using half a pound of oatmeal, smoked it for 2 hours, i didnt plan on smoking for that long but the first 30 minutes i couldnt get a good smoke with the temp under 200.

The oatmeal itself im very happy with, however the brew didnt turn out as dark as id like. Im not sure why, but from what i could tell its lighter than my porter :(. Its in the bucket fermenting, i plan on leaving it in there for 3 weeks before bottling, no secondary for me!

I'll give another update around the 7th of november when i bottle

quick update on the brew!!!

Something went terribly wrong with the brew. It ended up turning up into a pale ale(pale, not black what so-ever!)!!!!!!!!!

I bottled it last friday, and I'm trying it right now because I can. It's drinkable, but obviously it's not how I wanted it to turn out. I cannot taste,smell any smoke what-so-ever. I think smoking half a pound of oatmeal did add some bitterness, that's it. I'm all-gran mashing now, this was my last partial mash, so maybe next winter I might *MIGHT* try it again as an all-grain beer. Something I would def do different next time, smoke all the oatmeal at 175-200 for 90 minutes. I screwed up and didn't have the smoker smoking before adding the oatmeal, I figured it was about rdy to start smoking(I have an electric smoker). I would def start the chips in the smoker 90 minutes(if electric) in before adding the oatmeal. you must have a good smoke before adding the oatmeal. I need to do further research to see how smoke attaches to food items(I'm not sure if I should spray with water, or if smoking while the oatmeal is really cold helps with the retention of the smoke flavor.) I hope this experiment helps you all with what not to do.

I cannot stress how important smoking at a low low low temp your oatmeal is.. You must must make sure your smoking is smoking as much as possible before adding your oatmeal.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me or write it in here. I have four partial brews under my belt(including a spanking honey porter, soo good), and now an all-grain brew with summit(boil), cascade hops(will dry hop with more cascade hops).

Next brew will be a grapefruit APA. I have family with grapefruit trees and I'm waiting for their fruit to rdy before I start that experiment.

Latest posts

Back