smell in my primary bucket!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
My primary still has the smell in it from after my first batch. I'm about to do my second and was wondering if this would affect the taste? If so whats a good way to get rid of it? BTW I've already sanitized it twice hoping that would help but thats a no go.

My buckets always smell... as long as you washed and sanitized you will be fine. I've never noticed any flavors being carried over by the delicious smell of a fermenter.

Thanks!!! It's something I literally just noticed and have never seen anything in any forum. So it's pretty much the norm for everyone?

Yea, its a little concerning at first. Plastic retains the smell but u shouldnt get any side effects from in in subsequent batches.

I've gotten the smell out of my plastic fermenters by soaking the crud loose with 3-4 TBSP of PBW in,then fill with water & stir. Let it soak 5-7 days,then use asoft cloth & my bottle brush to wipe the loose bit of crud that hasn't settled off. Then I place my home cheapo bucket on the floor beneath it (the FV's sit on my fermenter stand),& open the spigot to allow all to drain.
Then rinse it out good. Remove spigot & soak in a mug of PBW to loosen anything still in there. I take asoft cloth & starsan to clean the mounting hole area. I have a set of aquarium lift tube brushes to clean spigots & other small ID stuff. I scrub the seals & lock lugs too. Rinse all,then soak in starsan a couple minutes. Then reassemble to FV & starsan that,letting the starsan run back into the jug through the spigot. I sanitize again right before filling with chilled wort the next time. They look & smell clean at that point.

Latest posts

Back