SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustLooking

Reaction score
Got an email from Austin Homebrew Supply trying to pedal SMaSH kits.

If they use Falconer's Flight is it really a SMaSH? :drunk:

For some reason, SMaSH tends to be a subject of debate, but let's face it - Falconer's Flight is provided as a single packet of pelletized hops. Use the SMaSH technique to discover the bitterness/flavor/aroma profile of the hop(s). Call it whatever you please, as it's your beer (kit).

Yeah, the one thing I never liked about AHS was that they never tell me what grains are in their "kits". I love that other online retailers will do that. I don't want to spend $34 on a SMaSH kit unless I know the base grain.

Falconer's Flight is provided as a single packet of pelletized hops. Use the SMaSH technique to discover the bitterness/flavor/aroma profile of the hop(s). Call it whatever you please, as it's your beer (kit).
Wonder if they combine different pellets together in a pack or if the hops are blended and then pelletized? And what consistency can they be getting if the packets are filled from different locations within the main mixture? If they are pelletized before blending and someone like AHB repackages, how do you know that you get the proper ratio. Do they make substitutions when a variety is not readily available?

IMO if you want a blend of hops, you'd get better consistency doing it yourself.

But I agree. It's your beer. Call it whatever you want.

Editing to say this is in Drunken Ramblings because I'm not seriously concerned about it. I just find it odd. Guess it's more of a Mindless Mumble. Even though I'm not drunk yet, it won't be long.
:mug:

Back