SMaSH with Summit Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't brew a smash but it was a single hop pale ale.

My of was 1.048 and I used about a pound and a quarter of dme for a 4 gallon bath, I was doing partial mash at the time. I used 10% of both Vienna and Munich, about 5% honey malt and abot 8% light crystal. The rest was made up of us 2 row and a but of carapils for head foam. It probably had a bit more residual sweetness and malt body than a smash, maybe do maris otter for a maltier profile.

I used summit with 15.5AAU

.33oz summit @ 60 for 24.4 ibus (this would be about .41 for 5 gallon batch)

.17@15 for 6.1 IBUs ( .21 for 5 gallon)
.17 @ 5 for 2.4 IBUs (.21)
.4 for 20 minute aroma steep @180*F (.5)
.8 dry hopped for 7 days (1)

Was aiming for a recipe called sacred summit pale ale from this site but had to adjust quite a bit for my system. Also in retrospect I would not have changed the 5 min and 15 down so low, should have been .4 and .4 to recipe more but I can't remember if it was me attempting to adjust for IBUs or just for what I had on hand.

I also didn't use the Willamette in dry hop per the recipe. So this made it a single hop pale ale.

I thought it had a very good hop aroma and flavor and probably peaked around 3 weeks in bottle. It was in primary for a total of 20 days then bottles to 2.7 carb. I picked up no oniony or garlic flavors as reported by some.

I picked up a lot of orange like citrus. Not exactly like any type of orange, maybe closest to a tangerine. Overall, it had a pleasant hop flavor and aroma. Good luck with your beer.

You're welcome, by the way I am editing hat because the first addition should say @60 min

Let me know what you go with and how it comes out. I love smash's.

I recently did a golden promise/cascade as an IPA. Would have preferred warrior or Columbus for bittering. Bitterness seemed to soft for IPA, good though as a really hoppy APA.

Back