SMaSH Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitamofo

Reaction score
It seems like my Irish Red is being pushed back a bit. A bunch of friends decided to do a gift exchange for Christmas this year. To make matters worse, they want to make it a home made gift.

Luckily, the guy I get to give too is a beer drinker. So I decided this was a great excuse to brew. He isn't a lover of very fancy beers and I am not sure if he would go for anything like an IPA. I figured I would just put together a simple SMaSH for him. Easy and enjoyable for any every day beer drinker. This is intended to be a light beer. This is what I am thinking:

8lbs Pale 2 Row
1oz Saaz 60 mins
0.5oz Saaz 30 mins
0.5oz Saaz 10 mins

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.008
ABV: 4.4%
IBUs: 24.5

Thoughts?

It seems like my Irish Red is being pushed back a bit. A bunch of friends decided to do a gift exchange for Christmas this year. To make matters worse, they want to make it a home made gift.

Luckily, the guy I get to give too is a beer drinker. So I decided this was a great excuse to brew. He isn't a lover of very fancy beers and I am not sure if he would go for anything like an IPA. I figured I would just put together a simple SMaSH for him. Easy and enjoyable for any every day beer drinker. This is intended to be a light beer. This is what I am thinking:

8lbs Pale 2 Row
1oz Saaz 60 mins
0.5oz Saaz 30 mins
0.5oz Saaz 10 mins

OG: 1.042
FG: 1.008
ABV: 4.4%
IBUs: 24.5

Thoughts?

I prefer Marris Otter over Pale but that is just my preference.

That made me notice I didn't put down the yeast. So let's put it up for suggestion! I do have some US-05 I could use but if you guys have any suggestions, I am all ears.

looks good

I did a Vienna SMaSH with Saaz and it was great to drink

I did

21 # Vienna
2oz Saaz 60
2oz Saaz 20
2oz Saaz 5
2oz Saaz 0

for IBU 22 SRM 5.84

which makes it about a Blonde Ale

All the best with your brew

S_M

I used Nottingham but I am drinking a Vienna SMaSH with Perle hops now done with US - 05

which is just as nice

Got this done last night. Went very well and is looking good. Can't wait to give this one a try. First time using my new grain mill and very happy with it. Only negative from last night was that I forgot to take a gravity reading. Doh! I guess I will assume it was in the 1.040-45 range.

2013-11-06 19.13.47.jpg

2013-11-06 21.43.14.jpg

Getting antsy to get home from work so I can take my first sample. Eager to see how it is coming along.

Just took a reading. It is down to 1.006. I don't see it going much lower than that so I'm guessing this guy is more or less done. I guess we will see in a couple days for sure. Beer looks a little light to me, could be I boiled too low and didn't boil off enough water. It tastes alright if not a little winey. I assume this is just an age thing. What do you guys think?

2013-11-13 20.32.39.jpg

2013-11-13 20.33.05.jpg

Latest posts

Back