SMaSH questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gedion

Reaction score
So i recently fell in love with a SMaSH beer, specifically the Southern Tier 2X SMaSH. i decided to try to make my own and in the process of looking up the recipe (which should only contain Mosaic hops and Special pale malt) i saw nothing but recipes that contained multiple hip and multiple grain profiles. doesn't that defeat the idea of a SMaSH to begin with?

A SMASH allows you to feature a single malt and single hop so that their flavors are not confused with other elements of a recipe.

What you might do is simply take those recipes and wherever it says extra malt, just use whichever one you want to feature. And where there are extra hop choices, just substitute Mosaic.

Pay a little attention to bitterness, but mostly just go with it.

I brew a SMASH that has Maris Otter as the malt, and Styrian Celeia as the hop. It *is* a smash for many that try it. I've been shocked at how many really, *really* like it.

My recipe uses 11# of Maris Otter, and 1.5 oz of StC at 60 minutes, 1.25 oz at 10 minutes, and 1.25 oz at flameout. That hop only has an alpha acid percentage of 2.8%, so yours may be more hoppy or bitter depending on what your Mosaic is.

I use S-04 yeast, rehydrated, with this. I ferment at 64 degrees then when the krausen falls I ramp it up to 71 degrees for a couple days for the yeast to clean up after itself. Then back to 64 for a while, then crash.

Try something like that with your favorite yeast and your malt and hops.

Maybe it's the recipe for the regular Southern Tier 2x. Why are you looking up a recipe if you already know the ingredients? Just add yeast.

Maybe it's the recipe for the regular Southern Tier 2x. Why are you looking up a recipe if you already know the ingredients? Just add yeast.

Mostly for hop additions. I only have 10+/- batches under my belt, most of which were established recipes so I'm unsure about a lot of things and not very confident yet. I'm pretty sure i use enough grain to get to my starting gravity but the hops are a little over my head aside from just dumping everything in at the start of the boil, and even if thats the case how much? Plus....if im perfectly honest i dont know what special pale malt is. My LHBS's have plenty of pale malts but not sure whats "special" when it comes to duplicating a beer. >__<

Mostly for hop additions. I only have 10+/- batches under my belt, most of which were established recipes so I'm unsure about a lot of things and not very confident yet. I'm pretty sure i use enough grain to get to my starting gravity but the hops are a little over my head aside from just dumping everything in at the start of the boil, and even if thats the case how much? Plus....if im perfectly honest i dont know what special pale malt is. My LHBS's have plenty of pale malts but not sure whats "special" when it comes to duplicating a beer. >__<

I don't know what the hell special pale malt is either :D I would just use something more flavorful than regular 2-row. Maris Otter or Golden Promise would be good. As far as hop additions I would add enough hops at the beginning of the boil to get to your target IBU. Then I'd add 2-4 oz at flameout and dry hop with 2-4 oz.

Just make sure that when you're specifying Special pale malt you're not specifying "Special B" which is a form of crystal malt that's fairly sweetish.

It also won't mash for you at all, no diastatic power.

I do a Mosaic/Maris Otter SMaSH that is delicious. 11lbs maris otter and 1oz mosaic at 60, 15, 5, and flameout plus a 2 oz dry hop. Wlp 090 San Diego super or wlp 007 (fermented cool) is my typical choice but I'm sure that us-05 or wlp 001 or any other fairly clean yeast would suffice. I also enjoy two row SMaSHs in the summer, though MO/GP/Vienna and such have more going on.

Back