SMaSH on a Stout yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gal of oatmeal coffee stout just over two weeks ago. So I have two nice looking yeast cakes sitting under some nice dark stout. When I bought the grain for the stout I paid the extra $9 and bought the other 30lb of american 2row in the bag (bag discount). fast forward a couple weeks a brew up a Dead Guy clone using Saaz hops. My wife and I both really enjoyed the smell of the Saaz. This started me thinking SMaSH if I use 2row that's paid for I could buy a couple oz of hops for $1.65 an oz and pitch on my stout yeast cake. Making a 5gal batch for under $10.
My question is how will the stout yeast cake taint the SMaSH?

A lot of brewers say to go from your lightest beer to your darkest, or most pungent IPA. I'm not one of those brewers though. If you have the ability to to sanitize a jar (something with a screw on lid and not a pickle jar (needs to have threads, like a Ball jar)) to dump as much of the yeast cake into, then cold crash that jar by putting it in the fridge, decant the majority of liquid that is on top of your yeast, and then throw that remaining yeast and liquid into a yeast starter, then you'll dilute the old beer enough to be able to re-pitch your old yeast. Check out the yeast washing thread here on HBT. You don't have to do it exactly like they do, but find a way that works for you that you're comfortable with. I just outlined mine.

The easy way is to just scoop up 4 oz of the trub and pitch that. I did this going from Porter to Pale Ale, no issues. Mr. Malty said 3.something oz was enough, so I did 4. It had no effect color or flavor-wise on the lighter beer...just not enough material there. An entire yeast cake is another matter.

Pitching onto the whole cake will be way overpitching unless you're making a massive beer. Scoop some out like strambo said and pitch that. The small amount of coloring that comes along with the yeast will have no effect on the 5 gallons you're adding it to.

Latest posts

Back