SMaSH not carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZLunchie

Reaction score
So, I brewed a SMaSH based on the recipe here but I used Jack Daniels and Jack Daniels chips.

I let it ferment for 7 days, then had the chips soaking in it for 14. I bottled 2 weeks ago and there still isn't any carbonation.

I've gone through as many things as I can and I can only really think that the yeast died when I threw in the paint strainer with chips + the JD's either from to much residual sanitizer or from the jump in alcohol, I'm leaning towards the first option, surely 50mls of JD's into 20L of beer wouldn't jump up THAT much??

The other option was the yeast clinging to the wood chips, meaning bugger all got into the bottle...?

Looking at the bottles there is not much trub I guess in the bottles compared to previous brews. Granted it has only been 2 weeks since bottling, should I be worried? Or should I RDWHAHB and wait it out??

... I bottled 2 weeks ago....

That's ALL we needed to know. The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Back