Smallest successfull batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcuda

Reaction score
What's the smallest batch of beer you've made?

I am contiplating trying smaller then average batch sizes this winter. The thought being to save cost and space and be able to have more attempts at recipe tweaking/variety.

What's a good small batch size? 2, 3, 4 gallon?

My smallest batch was 1/2 gallon. I did a simple pale ale to see how bad a beer would be if I used bread baker's yeast instead of ale yeast (not bad at all, it turns out). When I switched from partial mashes to all grain last year, I made 3 gallon batches due to the size of my brew kettle bring too small for 5 gallon full boils. I don't think I'd go smaller than 3 gallons most of the time since it's basically the same amount of work for half as much beer.

Half wouldn't be horrible. When I was brewing up a storm before I had three bad batches. One had a mold infection and didnt make it out of the sf, the other two are still sitting in bottles waiting to be dumped out.

My thoughts are smaller batches means more attempts at variety/variation of recipe and perfecting my technique again. All without having shelve and shelve of not so hot brew to drink.

There's an old guy at LHBS has a technique for perfecting a brewers taste buds. You take a recipe and brew 3-5 batches. First with no hops and then add each time until you go over what's called for in the recipe. Seems like a good learning exercise but not a brew(s) to share

Smallest batch I've made is 5 gallons. Largest was 11 gallons. My 'normal' batch is 6.75-7 gallons into fermenter, with 6 gallons coming out of it. :rockin:

Cost really isn't all that bad, when you buy your grain in bulk (group buys). Buying your other ingredients wisely, or in bulk, also helps. The single most expensive ingredient, for me, is the liquid yeast. I save there, though, by making starters. I'm also about to experiment with freezing some yeast.

Luckily, I have plenty of space (now) to brew whatever size batch I wish. I'm more limited by how many kegs I have empty when the batch is ready/done.

my first 4-5 batches were 1-gallon stovetop AG. I still do one once in a while when testing out something I'm not sure I like, trying out a new process I'm not sure about, or when trying to get a feel for hops and/or grain interactions. Not a bad way to go, but it's tough to keep the pipeline up that way.

1 Gallon batches work out great. I'm thinking about getting two pots going and making 2 different 1 gallon batches at the same time, for my next batch.

1 gal would be 10-11 bottles. Not bad for playing around. Could be a good way of perfecting a recipe or just getting back in the groove.

I do 1 3/4 gal batches all the time. I ferment in 2 gallon buckets from Home Depot. I get about 16 bottles with each brew and that gives me a good selection to pick from. See my sig below to see what I'm drinking now.

C-Rider said:
I do 1 3/4 gal batches all the time. I ferment in 2 gallon buckets from Home Depot. I get about 16 bottles with each brew and that gives me a good selection to pick from. See my sig below to see what I'm drinking now.

What lid are you using? My hd only has the tear away lid for two gallons buckets. i dont think the seal would be good for the second use.

What lid are you using? My hd only has the tear away lid for two gallons buckets. i dont think the seal would be good for the second use.

Not to worry much about the seal. The lids I have have marks on the side. Using wire cutters I cut a small slit on each mark. Remember the CO2 in the bucket will be you main seal that and an air lock. No worries about anything goin in.

Back