Smallest Igloo Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanwick

Reaction score
I would like to maximize portability thus smaller is better. Cornies are round so the most efficient vessel is also round.

I have a 5gal round orange igloo that is 17" high inside height, but the lid eats up a few inches of that at the edges. It is too small to handle a 3gal corny with gas/beer connectors, but I think it could handle a 2.5gal corny. Might require the low profile connectors that come out at a 90degree angle rather than 45deg up/out.

Anyone ever tried that?

Of course there is not going to be room for a co2 bottle, but I was thinking either the little 16gram ones might fit inside or strap on a paintball canister with adaptor to the outside.

What bracket do folks think would work to strap a paintball canister to a round surface? Angle bracket at the bottom with pipe bracket in the middle? Fire extinguisher bracket?

Anyone have any ideas about where I am being smart vs. stupid? I have a 10gal round orange igloo, but it is twice as big and so half as portable. Still working on plan A. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be done, but with the amount of money you'd invest in small kegs/hardware, I'd be inclined to just buy this setup: http://www.drinktanks.com/product/drinktanks-128-oz-growler-pre-sale/

1 gallon growler with tap lid. I backed their Kickstarter like 9 months ago and I'm still waiting for my shipment, but hopefully it will get here soon. I know they say their keg cap is still in development so it'll be awhile for those...

Otherwise I built a portable kegerator out of a 30 gallon plastic trash can. I used spray foam inside to insulate and Reflectex (or whatever it's called) on the outside and lid. 5 gallon corny with 5lb CO2 tank and regulator fit inside with ice. That held ice for over 24 hours at 90F-100F heat while camping...

You can always cut the lid to fit a 5 gallon keg down into and pack it with ice. The use one of the 16gm CO2 canisters to push the beer. I think I saw one posted on here a while back.

Totally get that I am not being cost efficient, but there is something idealistic about wanting to have beer pour out of a tap while having the smallest, most attractive/hidden solution that can serve 20 beers or so to a small gathering.

Maybe I've just rationalized my way into a corner. :(

^There is something to say about the ability to be "sneaky" at times. In my city you can bring in 100 30 packs of canned beer, but "kegs" are not allowed for tailgating. This would be a nice solution with the picnic tap spout being located where the cooler spigot is!

For most attractive I think you could build a nice insulated wooden box. I just line my garbage can with a trash bag to catch melted ice...

Been thinking about this some more today and think that my best course of action is going to be to cut some holes in the top of the 5gal cooler and let the connectors poke through. This will mean
  1. can use the 3gal corny I already have
  2. can either attach the little 16gram co2 directly or take the hose to the cannister strapped to the back
  3. can attach a faucet directly to the beer out connector avoiding cutting another hole in the cooler

This is not quite as elegant, but does require one less hose, no shank and the same number of holes in the cooler. Was hoping to have a nice clean surface on the top for design/logo. Maybe I can wrap it somehow instead or maybe work the design around the holes in the top.

I finished the build. Will post photos when I get back home in a few weeks.

I decided to go with the 3 gal corny that I already had. Cut out some of the mateial from the lid in order that the post connectors will fit. Cut a hole in the front for a 2.5" jockey box shank and faucet. Cut a hole in the back for air line to go out if not using the little portable version.

The corny barely fits in with the beer line attached to the shank. the air hose has to come through the hole after the corny is already in place.

The lid does not quite stay all the way down on the 5 gallon igloo, but it doesn't pop all the way off either. I might carve out more to see if I can get it to sit down further.

At the end of the day it is a super compact kegerator that can also fit some ice to keep the corny cold enough for as long as it takes to drink that much beer. And, I left the nice white lid un-marred for some nice sticker branding that I can do on the top.

Latest posts

Back