Small floaties from mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectre216

Reaction score
Over the weekend I decided to brew a kolsch, however, when I drained my mastun (an igloo cooler with a grain bag inside of it) there were a lot of small, white flakes floating in the wort. Even after roughly two gallons of vorlaufing, the flakes persisted. I went ahead and continued brewing anyway and saw a long of what looked like large floaties during boiling (looked like hot break to me). I tasted the wort at the end and didn't taste any astringent flavors from tannins, but I don't know if those only appear after fermentation. Overall i'm not really worried (it's to late to worry anyway), but I was just wondering what might have caused this? Could it be from grinding my grain to finely? What issues might it cause in the long run.

Sorry, no pictures available at this time.

Can't really tell you what they are without seeing them, but I wouldn't worry about it. I do vorlauf until my wort is running pretty clear, but there is always some grain rolling around in the boil. Never had a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back