Small Brewers Caucus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
On August 11 AHA members were sent an e-mail concerning the Small Brewers Caucus (US House of Reps.). Here is the letter (I thought someone posted here but I could not find it):

Support the Community of Beer Enthusiasts
and Small Brewers:
Contact Your Congressional Representative

Dear Beer Enthusiasts and Homebrewers,

We’re asking you to contact your U.S. Representative and ask him or her to join the House Small Brewers Caucus. What is the House Small Brewers Caucus?

The U.S. House of Representatives Small Brewers Caucus was formed in 2007 by interested Members of Congress. Their mission is to gain a better understanding of all aspects of small, amateur and professional craft brewing, from business and regulatory issues to the brewing process and history of the small brewing community. The members of the Caucus are passionate about small brewers and craft beer. Co-chairs Representative Peter DeFazio (OR) and Representative Denny Rehberg (MT) have themselves been homebrewers and are avid beer enthusiasts.

Currently, only 49 Representatives belong to the Caucus. To put that in some perspective, 344 Congressional districts are home to at least one small brewery and we assume every one of the 435 districts is home to homebrewers and beer enthusiasts.

You can help by asking your U.S. Representative to join the Caucus. Help assure that you have the strongest voice possible speaking on your beer behalf in Congress.

You’ve come to appreciate the flavor, diversity and quality of your homebrew or locally brewed beers from America’s small breweries. In these uncertain economic and legislative times you can imagine how important it is to educate Congress about the community of homebrewers, beer enthusiasts and small brewers.

Ask your Representative to join the Caucus. Following are resource materials to assist you, including a brief message you can use to make your contact, either sending it “as is” or modifying it to add your personal message.

Thanks for all you do in support of America’s small brewing community.

Charlie Papazian

I sent my Representative a brief e-mail concerning this. Never expected to get a response. Today:

Dear Mr. _______,

Thank you for writing to express your support for the House Small Brewers Caucus. I appreciate hearing from you. Given your support for the Caucus and the support of others in the Fourth District, I joined the Small Brewers Caucus on August 28, 2009.

As you know, the House Small Brewers Caucus was formed in 2007 by interested Members of Congress to gain a better understanding of small brewing, from business and regulatory issues to the brewing process and history of the small brewing community.

Co-chaired by Representatives Peter DeFazio (D-Oregon) and Dennis Rehberg (R-Montana), the House Small Brewers Caucus provides elected officials and their staff an interactive opportunity to learn about the dynamics of running a small business as a brewery and the quality, process and value of craft beers and small brewing activities.

I am pleased to join the Small Brewers Caucus in light of your wishes and the wishes of other like-minded constituents. Please do not hesitate to contact my office with further questions or concerns. I also encourage you to visit me online at Congressman Hank Johnson -- Representing Georgia's Fourth Congressional District.

Sincerely,
Hank Johnson

Wow. I am honestly shocked. This is not a heavy brewing area, one brewpub in the district and numerous homebrewers. I disagree with a vast majority of Hank Johnson's politics. Would have probably voted against him last year but he ran unopposed. But he is better than Cynthia McKinney (he replaced her) and I have to commend him for this.

Website is lacking, but: House Small Brewers Caucus.

Back