Small batches with normal equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate00

Reaction score
I recently found my old Mr. Beer fermenter keg that I had stashed away in a storage closet and forgotten about. I am planning on using it to do some small batches of "experimental" beer. Mainly as a way to save some costs on high gravity beers that I have some ideas to play with.

Anyways, I will be doing 2.5 gal batches instead of five or six gal. Is there anything I need to consider while using my normal setup, a 10 gal. cooler w braid mash tun? Does it still work good enough, or should I switch to BIAB or something for batches this size?

I know my efficiency won't be as good, but that doesn't matter to me, as long as the beer turns out the same as it would in a larger quantity.

Scaling should not be an issue. The only risk you run is temp loss as you will have significantly more headspace in the mash tun.

Believe it or not, simply laying a couple of sheets of plastic wrap right on top of the mash surface will help insulate and hold the temp...(with the lid on of course).

Latest posts

Back