Smack pack timing to achieve under-pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatshowyougetants

Reaction score
I'm brewing a weizen, and I favor the banana-flavors in weizens. I'm using Wyeast 3068. The Wyeast site says this:

This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate.​

The instructions on smack-packs always say to 'smack' them at least 3 hours before pitching. I was wondering if I don't wait three hours would this achieve something similar to decreasing the pitch rate?

Many thanks.:mug:

I would think that smacking and only letting sit an hour instead of 3 would simply lead to longer lag time. I don't think it would dramatically reduce the pitch rate. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Upping the temp will certainly increase the banana with it though!

Smacking the pack has nothing to do with cell count as cells only replicate when O2 is present.

The smack pack is a sealed O2 free environment so there is no replication or growth occurring.

Without a starter you will be under pitching any beer over 1.030 which your batch will probably be so just pitch it.

Furthermore, IME the banana notes are really more in line with a higher temp than pitch rate:)

Ok, thanks for both replies. I'm going to ferment this one upstairs so the temps will be 70 or higher. I usually ferment in the basement and get low to mid 60's.

Back