Smack pack not swell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mando

Reaction score
I smacked 3 hours ago and it is not swelling. Belgian Abbey 1214. Trying to think of my options.

Pitch and hope.
Dip out some French Saison that I brewed yesterday and use that?
Smack the Belgian Wit I have in reserve.
Figure out how to make a starter.

I am open to suggestions.

Sometimes they don't swell much at all. Just pitch it and wait. It's worked for me on several occasions.

May just need a little more time to swell. Otherwise you could probably make a starter by boiling half a cup of light dme in a liter of water and pitching in that to see if it takes. I would just give a couple more hours on the smack pack. It also depends on how old the yeast is and how it was stored. May not be viable but it could just need more time.

This happened to me with my last two smack packs. I called the vendor where I bought it and they said that was not uncommon. Both had March 2013 dates. They said to go ahead and pitch them and they worked great. Pitch it!!!!!!

12 hours after I pitched and still no activity so I added a belgian wit yeast I had on hand.

It really took off and now is going hard. I guess I'll find out what abbey and wit taste like together.

Latest posts

Back