Smack pack came...pre-smacked!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Jay

Reaction score
I ordered a few recipe kits from NB and one of the Wyeast Smack packs was all puffed up like the nutrient pack had already been popped. My guess is I'll be fine as long as I refrigerate it and make a starter before using it. Anyone else have experience with this?

Yep, I had one swelled up upon arrival. The inner pack wasn't broken though. I put it in the refrigerator right away and brewed with it the next day. It must have been fine because I drank it!

Nothing to worry about and with the warm temperatures around it's not surprising, chill it down until you need it, make the starter and pitch it, the yeast will be fine:)

I love brewing and I love the fine folks of HBT. Thanks for the answers. On a separate but related note, I've never been much of a pet person. But I realized that whenever I receive a brewing shipment it's like I just got a billion little pets. I should start naming them soon... That's a good idea for a thread starter...

Back