Slow fermentation with WLP550

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewitt

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised by the behavior of the fermentation of a hopped Belgian Golden Strong Ale with WLP550. I am looking to keep the phenolic fruity character in check so I have it fermenting at a constant 68F. OG was 1.073. Fermentation was vigorous for four days with significant blowoff. Fermentation slowed dramatically and at 6 days there was still heavy krausen so I gave it a swirl and the fermentation woke up and again there was blow off. Now I am at 13 days, there is still a very regular bubble to the airlock with about one bubble per 10 seconds. There is still considerable krausen and the SG is only at 1.019 (~72%). I'm shooting for 1.013 (~80%). Taste is mildly sweet but pretty close in Belgian character to what I am looking for.

What is the recommendation? Patience, warm the fermentation, other....?

Thanks for any advice.

Warm it up. I usually pitch this strain around 67-68, hold for 48 hours, then raise it one degree per day to 75 and hold it there a few more days until it's done. This is one of those classic Belgian strains that will go to sleep if the temp drops even just a bit. Using the schedule I just described, I just today kegged a batch that went from 1.062 to 1.006 (90% attenuation) in 10 days.

Warm it up. I usually pitch this strain around 67-68, hold for 48 hours, then raise it one degree per day to 75 and hold it there a few more days until it's done. This is one of those classic Belgian strains that will go to sleep if the temp drops even just a bit. Using the schedule I just described, I just today kegged a batch the went from 1.062 to 1.006 (90% attenuation) in 10 days.

Thanks for the input. Just curious, do you get a significant increase in phenolic and fruity flavors? I'm going to set up my aquarium heater in either case. Just want to know what I'm getting into.

What is the recommendation? Patience, warm the fermentation, other....?

Yes... Belgian yeast are famous for taking off fast and getting the bulk of the fermentation over very quickly, then slowing down and taking a long time to finish up. Warming it up some and waiting it out will help it finish. Give a few more weeks.

Here is a good quote from Brew Like a Monk.

"Let the ferntation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It may take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it did for the first 80%."

+1 on warm it up. I did a Belgain ale recently, started at 65/66, let it go for a couple days, then started raised a degree a day or so until finishing around 73-74. Racked to keg at 1.009 (where I let it sit for a while under a layer of c02).

At 74F. Slow but steady fermentation. Going to transfer to a keg once ferment stops and let it rest under CO2 for a week or so before cold crashing and carbonating. Thanks all for the encouragement.

Well, it took 5 more days at 74 but after 18 days of fermentation it finally stopped at 1.010. Perfect! 84% attenuation. Tastes great. Thanks for the encouragement. Giving it another 5 days then cold crashing and into the keg.

Latest posts

Back