Slow drip leak from faucets each night last 2 nights

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelop777

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been reading and occasionally commenting on here for years now but have not had a question that wasn't already asked (and answered) until now which is pretty awesome!

So here's my problem. I recently hooked up a keg of Rogue brewery Brutal IPA to one of my 2 taps. (My kegerator's small so only fits 2 cornys OR 1 qtr barrel). Anyways... I noticed the other morning a puddle of beer on the floor and found that the tap had a very slow drip leak. By slow I mean 1 drip every 3 seconds or so. I didn't lose that much beer so I disconnected the tap and went to work. I reconnected the tap that night to my other faucet because I assumed it must be a leaky faucet. This morning, got up and had the same problem!

I know it's still possible it's a faucet problem but I clean regularly (these are also Perlick faucets, not the cheapy ones known to leak) and it seems odd for both faucets to all of a sudden have the same slow leak.

So I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced this? I can think of 2 lossible causes other than the faucets.
1. My kegerator had gotten very cold, it was down to about 29 degrees so I turned it down to the lowest setting. Maybe the beer had gotten so cold it was expanding and forcing it's way out of closed faucets?
2. My pressure may have been too high? I'm still learning the sweet spots for my set up and the difference between brewery kegged beer and my home brew. Ie I have to keep my homebrew at about 10-12 psi even after carbing otherwise it goes flat over the course of a few weeks.

I just can't figure out what is happening. Any advice is much appreciated!

Ps. Sorry for the long post. I tend to include too much info sometime. ;)

Do you by chance move your tap handle over to the other faucet when you swapped? My Perlicks can be temperamental with heavy tap handles. A simple tightening of the nut where the handle goes into the faucet is often the culprit. Heavy tap handles have a way of slowly leaning forward and causing the leaks. Snug that compression nut and see if that helps.

Hmm. I didn't move the tap handles but the do come loose easily so I can give that a shot. Thank you!

That seemed to do the trick. I was able to turn both about an 1/8th of a turn and no more leaks. Thank you!

Back