Slimy ring around top of cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny5000

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a sign of infection, or something normal. I'm pretty new at making cider- this is only my second batch, but I didn't see anything like this in the first batch.

There is a slimy looking reddish-orange ring around the top of my cider. It's a cherry-apple cider, so that could explain the color of it.

I didn't use any sodium metabisulfite in this batch, which I fear increases the likelihood of it being something I don't want.

Am I being paranoid and worried for no reason?

Not a great picture but hopefully this is a good enough to see what's going on... There's the reddish cider at the bottom, the white foam from the bubbling yeast above that, and the mystery goo above the foamy layer.

image link

That's just like the goo (I'm sure someone else has a more exact definition) from the "krausen" it forms up on the neck of all my batches, I usually just agitate it to wash it into the rest of the liquid. My guess is its pectin or some such. But yeah not anything bad :)

image-3942144885.jpg

Nothing to worry about,i have a 3 gallon batch going right now that has the same thing. I just leave it there and then wash it after i put the cider into secondary.

Oh my GOD when it's done bottle that up and send it to me I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly :drunk: Nah that's normal you'll be fine.

Back