Skeeter Pee (lemon wine) failing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
While making a new batch of wine I decided to put a few small splashes of the yeast starter into a liter of lemonade and make a mini trial of Skeeter Pee. I used 150ml 100% lemon juice from concentrate, 175mg sugar and 700ml water (roughly). Unfortunately I don't have much equipment now so it was all put into a 1.5L sprite bottle with foil over the top. There was a little activity after about 6-12 hours, a very small island of foam at the top of the sprite bottle that didnt quite cover the whole surface, then after 48 hours that foam is now completely gone. The wine on the other hand is still bubbling away like crazy with lots of foam on it.

I don't have a gravity reader and I didn't use a bubbling airlock so it's really hard to know what is going on but it looks like it tried to ferment a little and failed. Does anyone have any idea what went wrong or any suggestions what I can do to fix it?

I've made this about a half dozen times just quickly reading through this if it's still bubbling away let it keep going for 7-10 days. minor foaming could be from not pitching enough yeast. lemon is tough to ferment at times, you've gotta aerate it a lot the first few days. in your case shake up the sprite bottle good to keep air in the mixture.

I've made this about a half dozen times just quickly reading through this if it's still bubbling away let it keep going for 7-10 days. minor foaming could be from not pitching enough yeast. lemon is tough to ferment at times, you've gotta aerate it a lot the first few days. in your case shake up the sprite bottle good to keep air in the mixture.

Right now there doesn't seem to be any activity at all, I just read it is better to add only half the lemon/sugar at first, then add the rest half way. Am thinking to seperate it into a second bottle and do something like this, although not sure if it would make any difference. Or to add more yeast, or.... I donno... :/

How's it going now? If you haven't yet you should have an airlock or a stopper with hose into a jar of water to keep it from being infected. Hydrometer is the best way to tell if it's finished fermenting. Sometimes it's difficult to see otherwise.

Latest posts

Back