Single tier, automated propane rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoH20

Reaction score
Things are getting close to completion, so thought I'd post my progress. A few quick details before the pics -

• 11 gauge, 2" box steel
  • BG14 burners, converted to low pressure
  • Honeywell valves
  • Rig mounted water filter
  • Flip up work table
  • Control panel on hinged arm for storage

WP_20140831_16_00_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20141108_11_49_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20141205_14_25_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20150118_12_43_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20150328_14_05_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20150213_14_58_31_Pro.jpg

Todd

This is exactly what I want to built. I just don't know that I have the knowledge to do it. Any detail that you add to the built would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sure, let me know if you want to know about any specific details. Just nothing specific about the control panel yet, still trying to figure it out ;-).

Todd

Oh how life gets in the way!! Anyway, making progress. Stand is back from powder coat (where it sat for almost 4 weeks :-( ) as of this morning. Now it's time for reassembly. I have made some progress on the control panel, and it's starting to make some sense to me at this point.

Todd

WP_20150618_14_39_36_Pro.jpg

Still making VERY slow progress on my stand (little kids and work schedule doesn't help at all..... and redid my whole garage). But, definitely seeing light at the end of the tunnel!!

Todd

WP_20150829_13_26_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20150720_21_14_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20150905_10_05_45_Pro.jpg

Getting even closer yet. Tested heating up the water to see how the burner(s) performed. Seems ok, ~ 3.25 degrees/minute. No icing of tank, etc. Good blue flame. I have about 3 inches from top of burner to bottom of kettle. Think I'll leave it there. I can go up in .5 inch increments.

Sadly, it doesn't look like the powder coat will survive around the burners. Sorta figured. Guy that did the stand said he would strip it for free and ceramic coat it for 1/2 price.

Todd

WP_20150917_12_19_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20150917_12_41_55_Pro.jpg

Getting even closer yet. Tested heating up the water to see how the burner(s) performed. Seems ok, ~ 3.25 degrees/minute. No icing of tank, etc. Good blue flame. I have about 3 inches from top of burner to bottom of kettle. Think I'll leave it there. I can go up in .5 inch increments.

Sadly, it doesn't look like the powder coat will survive around the burners. Sorta figured. Guy that did the stand said he would strip it for free and ceramic coat it for 1/2 price.

Todd

Wouldn't ceramic coating crack due to temperature differential between the hot and cool part of the stand?

That I don't know. I think it will be a gradual change in temp as areas near the burner are also warm-to-hot (depending on how close). Not sure if ceramic would even hold up, but it should be better than powder coat (which I think bakes at around 400).

Burner is putting out a great deal of heat. And this is on low pressure LP.

Todd

It's 15 gallons. It looks larger because it's bottom drain, so there is a skirt at the bottom.

Todd

Nice job Todd. Where do you buy those control panel boxes and do they come in smaller sizes?

I either got the enclosure from Amazon or ebay (thinking Amazon). There were several different sizes. Was around $80 I think. A whole punch made life pretty easy (all the switches and lights are the same size... PIDS are a little more trouble to cut out).

Todd

Very nice. I may need to bounce some questions off you later, if you don't mind. I'm building something similar, and haven't quite ran through the specifics on wiring and gas plumbing yet. I might get to that point in a couple weeks though.

Absolutely, let me know. Unfortunately the site seems to send emails.about once a week when there is a reply to something you've posted, so I've been bad about responding.

It's up and running now, so let me know what your questions are. (btw-certainly didn't reinvent the wheel, just learned from other folks on this site.)

Todd

Well, I'm a bit of a gear head, so that's my attempt to save the powder coat using "heat shield" type of product. Usually used near exhausts, turbo's, etc.

We'll see how\if it works.

Todd

Latest posts

Back