Single Stir Bar Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat0304

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got my StirStarter in over the weekend, looks like it will work great! Question:

I know that ideally you would have two stir bars and store them attached at opposite poles. I only have one stir bar, how is the best way to store a single stir bar? On the fridge, on the stir plate, neither, etc.

Cheers and Many Thanks!

Jarod

It doesn't matter in my Chem labs I keep mine in an empty beaker so I can always find then but it honestly doesn't matter the reason I could see two being stored opposite so their charges and electric fields amplifies each other... But next to an other would cancel honestly though it doesn't matter

Sounds like crazy talk. Maybe they stay magnetized that way?

I almost never take mine out of the flask. Maybe a quick rinse, but that's about it. Gets boiled in there too. I keep a spare, just in case, but I've never needed it and it gets stored in a bin somewhere.

If you're obsessing about how to store your stir bar, you've got it bad. Chill, brotha.

Here you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no problem with storing a stir bar by itself. And BTW, you need two - one for inside the flask and another to hold against the outside while you pour your starter into your wurt. If you don't do this you will our your stir bar into your primary.

Wow... I feel like an idiot for not thinking to just keep it in the flask... Even I (probably) can't misplace a 2L flask :cross:...

The kit does come with a catch magnet though, it just says not to store the two attached.

Passedpawn, I do have it bad don't I...

Lol assuming they are Teflon coated chemist use them on a daily basis in the craziest things at temperatures way higher than you will reach in your household so it will survive .

Latest posts

Back