single pitch for double batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyconley0269

Reaction score
I read in Chris White's "Yeast" book that when double batching, if you full oxygenate the first batch and pitch for single batch, and then brew the second batch the next day and fully oxygenate the second batch as well, that you can skip pitching for the second batch, as the yeast will have reproduced sufficiently so that the pitching rate will have doubled. IE- there is no need to repitch or double pitch in this scenario provided that you are also adding more oxygen with the second batch.

I trust that Chris White knows what he is talking about, but I would like to get some input from others who have experience with this. I am getting ready to double batch 1BBL into 2BBL fermenters, and it would be an unforgivable sin to waste 2 Barrels of beer putting this theory to the test. I feel comfortable with double batching same day and pitching for 2 BBL, but in the interest of cutting my yeast cost in half, it would be great to be able to spread out the batches and pitch for 1BBL.

I have read around on the Probrewer forums and I don't see this technique being used often in the field. Does anyone here have experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back