Single Metal Handle 5 Gallon Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
Is there a reason that a Single Metal Handle 5 Gallon ball lock Keg tends to be less expensive (-20$) than a standard coke/pepsi looking keg?

I am wanting to keg my first brew and trying to get a handle on how the different kegs may work and if there are any that WILL NOT work for beer.

Are you talking about new kegs? I have a few of the single handle new kegs (manufactured by AEB) and they're fine. The threads on the fittings don't feel quite as smooth as the ones on the old ball locks I own, but they're made from reasonably heavy gauge material and seem to work well. Recently, I've seen new kegs out there with the rubber bumpers on top and bottom. They're probably easier to carry / move around, like the used ball locks I have, but to me, that doesn't justify the expense.

I have 3 Pepsi style kegs with the rubber top and 4 of the single handle kegs. 2 x 5 gal and 2 x 3.5 gal. All 4 from AEB and made in Italy. Their quality is really good and I never had any problems with them.

However there now seem to be a lot cheap single handle Asian kegs out there which are not as good than the original AEB kegs.
When I bought my 2nd 3.5 gallon keg at the local homebrew store, the open box display model was from AEB. The kegs in the boxes were made in India (if I remember correctly) and clearly not as high in quality as the AEB keg. Price was the same. So guess which keg I bought... ;-)
Plus recently I saw one of these cheaper kegs on Craigslist where the seller claimed that a leak had been fixed. I never heard about leaks on kegs and after I sent him an email asking where the leak was he replied that one weld on the handle had gone bad opening a pin hole. He had the hole drilled out and closed with bolt and nut. That sounded really scary.

Just also found this post:
http://discussions.probrewer.com/sh...r-seen-a-keg-leak-in-the-body-of-Chinese-Kegs

Correction: My 2 x 5 gal one handle kegs are actually Spartan kegs. Not AEB. Paid $25 for the pair about 2 years ago.... ;-)

Back