Single Malt/Single Hop - 20 min boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinity2134

Reaction score
I was reading a thread about using a single malt and single hop to get an idea of how each hop tastes by itself. It also included a recipe that uses only a 20 min boil. Has anyone tried to do this? If so what are some of the recipes and the best ways to go about this? Thanks!

With extract, you only need to boil long enough to get what you want from the hops. I recently made a brew with Briess golden light DME (probably 6 lbs for 5.5 gallons, don't have the recipe in front of me) and Cascade hops. I think I did one ounce at 20 and another ounce for a dry hop. That extract has Carapils in it, so it may not technically qualify as a SMaSH, but the idea is the same and it is a pretty neutral base. Northern Brewer has a Maris Otter LME that is supposed to be 100% MO, and other places probably have it as well - that would make a true SMaSH.

Edit, misread your post. You can change it up with hop schedule. Hops added before 30 min will mostly add bitterness, while hops added later contribute flavor and aroma.

20 mins is mostly a flavor addition but contributes some bitterness. A dry hop adds no bitterness, but will impact the aroma (and thus, the flavor as well).

20 mins and less will add a little bit of bittering, but less boil time means less bittering, so a 60 minute boil bitters more than a 20 minute boil, and a 5 minute boil still adds some bitterness but it is much less. The flavor and aroma compounds can boil out of wort, and the aroma boils out the fastest.

For a single addition, I would do 15 or 20 probably. For 2 additions, I like the 20 and dry hop, but 20 and 5 is a good split, too. Generally, >30 is almost entirely bittering, <20 is considered flavor, and <5 is considered aroma. Depending on what qualities you are trying to isolate in the hops, you can add them according to that basic guideline.

sorry for all the questions. what about the amount of hops? does it depend on the type or is 1oz for 20 then dry hop with 1oz for 7days sound good for most types?

For a short boil and a low IBU beer, 1 oz is pretty safe for each addition. If you want to fine tune, you can always use brewing software like Beersmith to help dial in your recipe to hit a certain IBU, but for experimenting with hop flavors that is probably not necessary.

If you want a hoppy beer, you usually need IBUs too. I've done a number of these. There is no set schedule, as different hops have different AAs.

What I usually do, is figure out about what IBUs I want and what gravity the beer will be. Then plan the beer with lots of hops starting at 20 minutes. I add hops evenly at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0, and dry. I use a calculator to see where my IBUs are. If theu are in line with the style (usually an IPA; about 60 IBUs), then I'm done. If I need to add more, I either up the amount at each addition or add a 25 or 30 minute charge.

This will give you a lot of hop flavor. It will also use more hops than a standard beer.

will this work with all hops? or are their more desirable ones to use?

It will work with all hops, but as you note, some are more desirable than others. I wouldn't do it with most hops that are primarily bittering, such as Columbus, and Magnum, but there exceptions, such as Chinook that could produce an excellent hoppy beer. Generally use hops that are known as finishing hops.

I will often use this technique on a new hop that I want to learn about. I'll do a small 3 gallon extract batch for it.

what is a 25-30 min charge?

25 minutes would be adding some hops at 25 minutes to go. You get more bittering with the longer boil, but less flavor, but still makes for a short boil. If using low AA hops, and you already have a lot in, and are no-where near your target IBUs, you could use a neutral bittering hop at 30 minutes to get the IBUs up; something like Magnum.

I just brewed a 10 pound grain bill BIPA, and it is really amazing to me. I used 5.3 oz of hops. Magnum @90, Centennial @60, Cascade @30, Centennial @10, Cascade @5, Amarillo, U.S. Golding, and Citra for a 5 day dry hop. I got really lucky my hop choices all complimented each other, as I made this beer specifically for my wife, and she loves it. Beginning IBU was 85.5.

These guys are right that if you want a higher IBU beer like an IPA, you need more hops. If you are looking to try out the 20 minute boil with extract, it would take a lot of hops. If you want to make something like a blonde ale, you can use far fewer hops but still get a good idea of flavor and aroma contributions from a single type of hop. It just depends on what type of beer you want to make.

i dont think it needs to be an IPA or something super bitter right now the recipe that I have is reading 38.9 IBUs. Im more looking for something that is drinkable and shows the flavor of the hop itself - somewhat bitter, some of the flavor, and dry hopped for the aroma.

Back