Simpsons vs Family Guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simpsons or Family Guy

• Simpsons

• Family Guy

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a Family Guy fan, but the best Family Guy doesn't come anywhere close to the best Simpsons. The fact that Simpsons has been around as long as it has (I can remember my poor mother refusing to buy me a Homer Simpson t-shirt at the JC Penney's when I was a wee kid) is staggering. I think I was in seventh grade, tuning on on a little old black and white TV in my room, trying to get a FOX signal... it's mind-boggling. The recent episodes are lame, but the movie was pretty good and there's damn little that compares, animated or not, to Simpsons in its prime.

South Park's #2 for best-animated of all time, and Futurama might be #3. Incidentally, American Dad's probably what... about #1,927 or so? Sound about right?

The simpsons are past their prime, seasons 1-9 were excellent and they've had some good episodes since but its been slipping. Family guy has some brilliant stuff but its very inconsistent, if you condensed family guy down to its best moments you might have one season of the most brilliant comedy ever made, instead we have six seasons of mostly mediocre stuff. As for the poll its really apples to oranges.

Simpsons get's my vote, on the criteria of total laugh-out-loud moments. But give Family Guy a few more years and it will surpass even the Simpsons.

"Peter, you're drunk again!"
"No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."

I love Family Guy but I gotta vote for the Simpsons just out of sheer longevity and creativity. Given the choice I'll watch Family Guy but even the recent Family Guy material seems to be trying too hard.

Family guy is funny, but it's really stupid. Simpsons has a degree of writing and creativity that family guy could never match, but i think they have both run their course.

my roommate said it best:

"How many times can i see homer simpson have total neglect for human life due to beer or food being involved and it still be funny?"

South Park has had more successful, outrageous, humorous episodes than all the others combined. And they stay topical because of the fast turn-around of the show.

I think I have to change my vote, Futurama can kick the ass of every other show every made or that ever will be made!

I think Simpson's has better writing, while Family Guy often resorts to (admittedly humorous) non-sequiters that are so out of nowhere you can't help but laugh. I enjoy both, but I think Simpson's has more going for it.

You know, a poll like this is sort of like asking Richard Pryor vs Eddie Murphy. Or, maybe Eddie Murphy vs Chris Rock. While their careers overlap(ped), both were funny in their own right and the first one paved the way for the 2nd one. I hear so many people in their 20's say, "I don't see why everyone says Eddie Murphy is such a great comedian, he makes lame kids movies. Chris Rock though, that dude is unreal. Check out his standup." Ummm, yeah - one word: Raw.

The Simpsons moved the bar and pushed the limit of what a mass audience was willing to watch in those early seasons. It enabled Family Guy to be more crass and yet carry an audience today. They were arguably THE funniest animated series on TV in the late 90's. Can you really say that about Family Guy today? Really?

Without Richard Pryor you don't have Eddie Murphy. Without Eddie Murphy you don't have Chris Rock. Likewise, without the Simpsons, you don't have Family Guy today.

Family Guy, I grew up watching the Simpsons and I remember hating Family Guy at first...... but then after a while I really came to love FG more and more...

Wow. rightwingnut and janx. Back when there was like 50 of us here I think. :fro:

Back