Simple American barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
2 gallon recipe (for my mr beer fermenter)

3.3 lb. lbs pale dry extract
1 lb. 2 row caramel 40
2 oz amarillo @ 60
1 oz amarillo @ flameout
Coopers ale yeast

I can only buy grain in prepackaged lbs @ my lhbs so I am hoping to get all the sweet flavor and color I need from that 1 lb cara 40 because I hate having extra grains go to waste in my closet.

Does this recipe look okay?

What should I do with the cara 40? (I went straight from hopped extract brews to all grain so I don't know how to do partial mash.)

Thanks in advance

I would say if you intend to age the thing for long at all skip the late addition hops, also, steep the cara 40 in water at ~150 degrees for 30 minutes before adding ot the boil. You can steep in a grain bag, or if you dont have one a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from a hardware store works.

frankstoneline said:
I would say if you intend to age the thing for long at all skip the late addition hops, also, steep the cara 40 in water at ~150 degrees for 30 minutes before adding ot the boil. You can steep in a grain bag, or if you dont have one a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from a hardware store works.

Great, thanks! I use paint straining bags for BIAB so I have a few laying around.

Does the recipe sound okay? I haven't made many recipes and this is my first barleywine, id like to keep it simple so I don't have to toss unused portions of each lb of grain but id rather waste a lb or two than make a bad beer.

how much does adding caramel malt effect abv? I feel like this is coming up a bit short... maybe I can add a lb of cara 20 or 10 to the 40.

I will probably dryhop with ah oz of amarillo if doing it at flameout won't do anything for me.

I am trying to get the sort of beer style that is Maritime Pacifics Decompression Ale if that helps make sense of this. My LHBS has no falconers flight so amarillo is an alternative.

Also the title of this should have a question mark at the end. I don't know if it is a barleywine or not!

Basically the decompression ale is super malty with with a ton of falconers flight hops (80 ibus I think?) And lots of aroma.

maybe I can add a lb of cara 20 or 10 to the 40..

don't do that. 2lbs of crystal malt in a 2gal recipe is way too much. the 1lb is already a lot. i'd add in 1lb of something like vienna or munich instead of any more crystal.

also, i'd cut back on your bittering, 2oz is a ton for this batch size.

Back