Simple 3 step decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsStepBrother

Reaction score
I was recently asked by two other brewers how to do a decoction mash, while I was explaining it to them they seemed so lost. So I emailed them links to charts and websites that show how to do it and they were even more confused. Since then I began to notice that a lot of new brewers do get intimidated by the instructions and terminology used in doing a decoction mash. So I basically drew up the outline I made for my decoction brew day and they go it a little better. Since I am planning on brewing a bock real soon I thought it might be of help to some people that are thinking of trying out this brewing technique. This is basically a real simple set of instructions, that can be followed.

**Yes I know with today’s modern malts this is no longer necessary, and at times can even be detrimental to the beer. I still think it is quite fun to try out old brewing techniques, makes you appreciate the ingenuity of early brewers**

Starting off1.Begin mash at a temperature of 95-104 F let sit for total of 2 hours.

First Decoction
2. An hour into rest decoct 1/3 of the thickest part of mash into another vessel and begin to raise temp 1 to 2 degrees per minute. Stop at 149-158 F and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. After rest continue to boiling for 15 minutes if light beer and 45 minutes for a dark beer. Once this is done another hour or so should have passed, and you can now reintroduce decoction into main mash.
Second Decoction
3. Main Mash Temperature should now be at about 122 – 127 F hold this for about 1 hour in total. 30 minutes into the hour take out another third of the mash and begin to raise that to a boil, once boil is reached hold it for 15 min for light beers and 20 minutes for dark beers. Reintroduce that to your main mash.
Third Decoction
4. Main mash should now be at about 149 F – 158 F hold for another hour. At the half hour (of 1 hour mash) decoct 1/3 of the mash again and begin raising it to a boil. Once it is at a boil keep it there for 15 to 45 minutes depending on the type of beer. Reintroduce back to main mash.
5. That should bring your mash to about 168 to 169 F, hold that for about 10 to 15 minutes, and begin to extract wort.

This video helped out a lot:

http://www.brewingtv.com/episodes/2011/3/29/brewing-tv-episode-34-decoction-day.html

I also explained how to read the chart on the decoction wiki page, and the one that kaiser uses on his youtube video found at this link.

decoction.JPG

Keep in mind there are ton's of rest that can be done and less decoctions to, this is just the one I did. I have also noticed that you do need to get a larger decoction if it is cold outside or you will fall short of your aimed temperature.

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, for the second and third decoctions, do you also scoop out the "thickest part of the mash" for each, or just the second, or ?

Cheers!

Traditionally you wanted to get the thick part because that is where the starch is in the under modified malts they were using. So by boiling them you are liquefying that starch to make it accessible to enzymes in the main mash.

Back