Simcoe IPA (advice needed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL41R

Reaction score
This is reworked version of the Zombie Dust clone:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 6.5g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %

1.00 oz Warrior (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop ) -

thanks in advance!!

EDIT: maybe I was not clear enough... this is the same recipe as the ZD clone, except the hops are switched from citra to warrior/simcoe. I am wondering if there are any tweaks that should be made since this is from a citra-only recipe.

Ha! Should've read the whole thread! My bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No problem.

My brew partner and I are just trying to figure out if anything needs to be changed. Our ZD clone turned out amazing, so we thought that by equally switching out the citra for simcoe would be great too.

forgot to add in the OP... we used 1056 yeast, and plan on the same for our simcoe. This will be our second brew :)

Haven't had the pleasure of trying Zombie Dust here in Florida, so I won't speak as to the malt bill, but as for the hops: Simcoe is a good bittering hop, and an all simcoe IPA works really well for me. If you're just boosting IBU's with the warrior, then that's cool too. Warrior is my current choice for bittering as well (very clean), as I've been doing several hop flavor experimental batches.

Hey BL41R, I'd do some research on Sorachi Ace hops if I were you. What you want is to try and get as close to citra's "citrus" element as possible. Sorachi is an AWESOME hop, it has that citrus punch and a high alpha percentage as well. It may be a little hard to find depending on where you are though.

Simcoe works as some of the others have suggested. Centennial, pilgrim or even cascade may also get you going in the right direction too.

Hope that helps!

I do a simcoe pale ale that has simcoe at 15,10,0 and DH and it is always a crowd pleaser. My grain bill is less complicated than what you have here but I say go for it, should be a great beer.

I am a big Simcoe fan, so this looks good to me! I always get really nice grapefruit type flavors from it personally, not sure if anyone else gets the same, but I love it with a relatively dry IPA.

I have never used Melanoiden Malt before, just out of curiousity what type of characteristics does that typically bring to the finished product?

We actually just did an all simcoe hopped IPA also used simcoe for bittering too turned out great! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394631394.460722.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the replies!
I'm very excited

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back