Simcoe+Centennial+Cascade+Amarillo Recipe Hop Schedule Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nextgenxx

Reaction score
Trying to use some of my favorite hops on hand to make a great IPA! Can anyone chime in on my hop schedule below?

Thanks!

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
19 lbs 12.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
10.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 18.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 44.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 7 15.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 7.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 14.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 1.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 0.4 IBUs
--

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Please excuse the new iPhone.

Anyway I think you have to much crystal malt there. I'd go with no more than 7% total of all three types that you have.

As far as the hopping, I would clean that up a bit. I would use first wort hops and/or 60 minute hops and bitter to 40 IBUs with that addition. All the rest of the hops I would add at 15 five and zero minutes and do some dry hopping.

Definitely agree with Yooper. 4 oz at 60 mins is overkill, especially using great flavor/aroma hops like Simcoe and Cascade. Use an ounce or 2 of a neutral hop as a first wort hop for bittering. It'll deliver a smooth bitterness that's more pleasant than the usual sharp bite you get at 60 mins (unless you're going for that bite). I personally use only first wort hopping for bittering and the rest of the hops are added at flameout for a whirlpool/hop stand on all hoppy beers. The aroma and flavor you can achieve with hop bursting/whirlpool/flameout is second to none

Beer Instagram: @mr****ella

Thanks guys for the feedback, much appreciated! As for percentages I was under the impression to go no more then 10% 90/10. I'm still learning so always good to get others input. As for hops this is a 10 gallon batch and do love me some Pliny, Stone Enjoy By, and lots of other imperial IPAs. I always also dry hop about 2-4oz to get more aroma in the final glass. What would you recommend for wort hops? I have about a pound of each style but can always pick something else up easily. Thanks a bunch! I was also going to split this up into to 5s and use different yeast strains.

Thanks guys for the feedback, much appreciated! As for percentages I was under the impression to go no more then 10% 90/10. I'm still learning so always good to get others input. As for hops this is a 10 gallon batch and do love me some Pliny, Stone Enjoy By, and lots of other imperial IPAs. I always also dry hop about 2-4oz to get more aroma in the final glass. What would you recommend for wort hops? I have about a pound of each style but can always pick something else up easily. Thanks a bunch! I was also going to split this up into to 5s and use different yeast strains.

10% is very high, but if you bitter well it's doable. The thing is, you have 4.8+4.8+2.8%- that's 12.4% if my math is right.

For an IPA, most people would find 10% crystal a bit too much but if you love it, then that's ok but the majority of folks would prefer somewhere around 5-7%.

I love all of those hops, and the combo is a good one. You can't go wrong with those.

10% is very high, but if you bitter well it's doable. The thing is, you have 4.8+4.8+2.8%- that's 12.4% if my math is right.

For an IPA, most people would find 10% crystal a bit too much but if you love it, then that's ok but the majority of folks would prefer somewhere around 5-7%.

I love all of those hops, and the combo is a good one. You can't go wrong with those.

Isn't AB 10% Special-B? Personally I like a dry IPA, however, I plan on making one with 10% S-B, just for something different; going to mash low, use about 10% simple sugars, and hop to over 100 IBUs (per calculator).

Latest posts

Back