Silver Packet of Alpha Amylase Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First and Foremost, I’ve done exhaustive searches here on the forums and the interwebs to find out more about this little silver packet I have.

I purchased it this weekend from my LHBS. It’s a small silver packet and on it is stamped “Alpha Amylase Enzyme 4g” that’s it.

Now is this used in the Mash Tun to help get the starches from the mash...or is it throw into the boil pot or better yet, into the carboy? What is it and what can it do for me?

The reason I purchased it (only $ .99) was to find out more about it and what it can do for me or not do for me. I figured for a buck I’d keep it on hand if needed....

Generally it would be added to the mash, particularly if there are a lot of adjuncts in the grain bill. This will help with the conversion of complex starches into sugars that the yeast can use. It will also speed up the conversion of any mash.

Adding it to the boil is a waste of $.99 as it would be denatured (destroyed).

It might do a little something in the fermentor if you had a bunch of starch that made it into there, but generally one does not have much starch in finished wort. (unless you had poor conversion)

Or if you are adding some fruit in a secondary, it will help to prevent starch haze (and adding pectinase, another enzyme, can help prevent pectin haze if adding fruit)

An enzyme that is added to the finished (and cooled) wort is beta-galactosidase. This enzymes breaks down carbohydrates (dextrins) that the yeast cannot metabolize into simpler forms that the yeast can use, resulting in a lower final gravity (and less calories from carbohydrates and more alcohol)

Latest posts

Back