Silver City Fat Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwightr8

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a recipe for Silver City Fat Scotch Ale. On the bottle they give some good info:

Hops: Nugget, Cascade

Malt: NW Pale, Munich, Black Caramel, Peated

IBU: 30

ABV: 9.2%

From a review of it that describes it quite well, "Aroma is full of malt sweetness, with toffee, caramel and brown sugar notes. A hint of smoke and slight spice and booziness, as well as sasparilla (maybe?)

Taste follows the nose wonderfully with big, sweet malts dominating the palate. Caramel, toffee, and brown sugar coming on all at once. The smokiness that appeared shy-ly on the nose is much more evident here, playing nice with smooth fruity characteristics of raisins and prunes. A slight bitterness is also present, and no hop flavor is detectable. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden, if I had to guess from a blind tasting I would put it around 6% but it is a whopping 9.2%. As it warms the raisin, prune and alcohol become a bit more prominent, as well as another flavor that is hard to discern. (Almost a sort of nuttiness)

The mouth-feel is smooth and slightly sticky with medium-low carbonation that compliments the flavor profile nicely."

For the yeast, I think I will go with Wyeast Scottish Ale Yeast #1728.

Any suggestions on putting this together would be appreciated.

TIA,

Dwight

I live in Silverdale and have had it many a time. Before I started brewing I got a corny fill and made my own "Bourbon Fat" ... so good :). Here's the recipe I put together a while ago, but have never brewed.

SC Fat clone - Strong Scotch Ale (9E)
=============================================
Batch Size 5.500 gal
Boil Size 6.750 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr
Efficiency 80%
OG 1.095 sg
FG 1.028 sg
ABV 8.8%
Bitterness 29.8 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 16.2 srm (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 16.000 lb Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
Briess - Munich Malt 10L Grain 3.000 lb Yes No 77% 10.0 srm
Briess - 2 Row Caramel Malt 80L Grain 1.250 lb No No 76% 80.0 srm
Black Barley (Roast Barley) Grain 1.000 oz No No 55% 500.0 srm
Simpsons - Peated Malt Grain 1.000 oz Yes No 81% 2.5 srm
Total grain: 20.375 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Nugget 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 27.5
Cascade 6.0% 0.250 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 2.4

Yeasts
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Scottish Ale Ale Liquid 8.45 tbsp Primary

I bet you can get to 9.2% by mashing around 150. I really have no idea how strong peated malt is, but since the flavor contribution is faint but there, I'd bet that 1oz or maybe half that would be a good start.

I can only assume they're using special B or some other dark crystal. There's a crystal 180 that I've seen in home brew shops here. I'd go real easy on the dark crystal. It can end up really sweet with a small percentage.

Silver City's site doesn't have that list though.

As for the recipe posted above, I'd cut that crystal in half (or use 1/4 the weight of a dark crystal like special b or cr 180) and double the roast barley. Just my opinion based on how I like my scotch ales and a vague memory of the fat scotch.

What is "black caramel" malt?

I was wondering the same thing. Here's a pic of the label. Maybe there should be a comma after the Black. From their website:

MALTS: NW Pale, Munich, Caramel, Peated, & Black

That makes more sense.

IMG_6477.JPG

I'd be really interested to hear back if you brew a Fat Scotch Ale clone!

I just made a scotch ale and it provides me some feedback on the recipe I previously posted. Here's how I'd change the adjuncts (base malts same):

Caramel 80 1.5lb
Black Patent: 4oz
Peated: 6oz

My recipe included a pound of cherrywood smoked malt, 1.082 to 1.020, mashed at 151, and is not nearly as sweet and shy on the peated character - can only very faintly detect it and maybe the cherry smoked is masking it, but I doubt it. I used 1.25lb C80, 4oz Black, and 4oz Peated. I also used Nugget at 60 and EKG+Willamette at 30.

I've heard that no real (as in Scottish) Scotch ale would dare contain peated malt. Is this true?

Latest posts

Back