Silent auction donation Legality question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekeane

Reaction score
I may cross post this over on the AHA forums as there are likely some legal types to be found over there.

My kids school is having a fundraiser to send teachers to a training conference of some sort. They are looking for gift basket donations for a silent auction and I was considering offering up one of the following as a auction basket:

A learn to brew type session where they could keep the beer they made.

or

A case of a style of their choosing that I would brew for them.

I would receive no money from either of these things and the event is for a non profit. I however know the laws are tricky and seemingly designed that way.

I live in Florida.

*somehow this wound up in the wrong forum was aiming for general.

From what I understand as long as you aren't selling homebrew you're legal

I've auctioned bottles away to raise $$$ before and don't accept any proceeds

A learn to brew type session where they could keep the beer they made.

I'm NOT a lawyer, but this should be legally OK since you're gifiting a course, not alcohol itself. Shouldn't be any different than a sushi making course at a local Japanese place. But, since this is for a school, maybe check with the principal or schoolboard as they may have a general prohibition on alcohol or alcohol-related promotion.

I suspect the first idea would be ok. You would be providing training and ingredients. They would be mixing them together, since it's not "beer" until the yeast is pitched and you're going to let them pitch it technically they made the beer, not you.

The second one on the other hand is providing alcohol in exchange for money. Remember it's not a "donation" if you receive something in exchange. Liquor laws likely have a thing or two to say about that.

*this legal advice is worth what you paid for it. Call your state liquor board for an official answer.

Except the OP is not receiving any money... it goes to the charity...

Probably doesn't matter. The recipient is receiving alcohol in exchange for money. Again, it's not a donation, it's a purchase. The OP is donating which is fine but the school can't make money off of it until they sell it.

You do need to look up the Florida laws. There have been a lot of changes in State laws concerning home brewing. It is possible your State may not even allow taking your home brew off your property.

You should definitely look up the laws in your state. Donating beer is illegal in Washington and Virginia (I've tried to do what you're doing in those two states) without a boatload of permits and other nonsense that made it impractical.

Back