sigh, the sequel always sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
2nd all grain, bad brew day, thought I was over strike temp but realized my therm was messed up after adding a gallon of cold water and it went up 20 degrees. Used standby digital therm and it read 120. Grr.

Started up some more water to boil. Once that is hot enough I'm stirring it in and the manifold pops out and floods with grain. Sigh.

Didn't know what to do since I can't get the manifold cleared and reinstalled. The whole thing basically falls apart and I throw it all out in disgust.

Manifold to me: No pumpkin steam beer for you! Not yours!

Not sure what to do with the San Fran lager yeast starter I have in the fridge right now. I guess I should just propagate it to several vials for next time.

:mad:

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. We all have bad days, you just gotta stick with it and it will all come together!

Hang in there man. Sounds like a sucky day. Tighten the manifold. Get a new therm and get your next brew set up.

In fact....tackle the same exact recipe and thumb your nose at the beer demons.

Just the sophomore slump, nothing to worry about. Takes more than a few times to get everything down. It'll get better. Check and recheck equip before you start.

I cleaned, I soldered, I brewed it again and it was glorious. Pumpkin Ale #2 a success :D

/in your face beer demons

Hopleaf said:
... the manifold pops out and floods with grain...

Had that happen to me on my very first AG. Here's what I did (see 2nd :mad: ). It was a PITA, but it worked just fine. Beer turned out great!

Moral: never throw out homebrew until it's finished fementing. Never!

Back