Show your BIAB Stand/Set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Anyone care to show off their set up for BIAB? I'm thinking of building a simple and efficient brew stand, maybe with a hoist. I've found a few looking on the interwebs, but not many.

In any case, anyone want to show off their build for a BIAB set up, generate some ideas for us all?

:tank:

My rudimentary BIAB setup

Mine is the bottom photo. Not as elegant as jpcourtney's above, but works, and didn't have to build anything. I like having the basket to hold the bag, as I can sparge easily while the bag is suspended in the basket (a little higher than in the photo), and also do hop additions and begin boil while bag is still draining.

Next project is adding sight glass with temp probe along with rercirculation system to allow step mashes. Recirc will solve the problem of non-uniform heating of the mash. Recirc will also speed cooling with an immersion coil and allow whirlpooling.

After that, I want to go electric heating.

Brew on :mug:

>.Anyone care to show off their set up for BIAB? I'm thinking of building a simple and efficient brew stand, maybe with a hoist. I've found a few looking on the interwebs, but not many.

Search for a game hanger - a portable tripod used for lifting game so you can gut it.

They have them at Walmart or Amazon.

The bag is hanging from the middle grab handle of my garage door

BIAB.jpg

Mine is a fancy multi-stage setup. :D
Stage 1 - bring to strike temp, the pails to the left are where I drain the bag, the inner pail has holes.
Stage 2 - mash
Stage 3 - boil, brewing assistant is returning from chasing little furry things!

Heat to Strike.jpg

mash.jpg

Boil.jpg

I brew 2.5 gal batches with this. 8 gal mega pot, 3500w induction burner and a 400 micron s/s mesh basket. I just purchased the cart from IKEA and modified the legs to get the right height.

1405860842236.jpg

1MadScientist, what size thermometer probe do you have on your keggle? I went for the 6" probe, and it gets in the way so much throughout the brew day! The wort chiller doesn't go all the way in, the bag sometimes wraps around it, it's just a PITA. Do you have these troubles as well? Or do you have the 2" probe?

I brew 2.5 gal batches with this. 8 gal mega pot, 3500w induction burner and a 400 micron s/s mesh basket. I just purchased the cart from IKEA and modified the legs to get the right height.

Where did you get your induction burner and mesh basket? Seems like this could be a good upgrade for me.

Aside from panicking at the possibility that the compressor on my freezer died no brewday drama on the maidan voyage of my keggle BIAB. Turned out to just be a cycling problem.

I got something weird happening with volume losses. And maybe I should double mill to deal with the 66% efficiency . But I can deal with both of those.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406758675.405193.jpg
Here's my garage suspended BIAB setup. This photo doesn't show it, but I use wilserbrewers ratchet pulley now for the mash and sparge.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406758711.050518.jpg
One of these days I'll get a better insulation jacket made, but 4 or 5 towels work just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406758601.697621.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406758601.697621.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,311
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407369918.286430.jpg
Here's mine. A 15 gallon electric brew kettle on a rolling stand that I keep in my garage. I have a 30 plate Duda diesel plate chiller and one of the mini topsflo pumps. It works fantastic! From set up to final breakdown with the beer in the fermenter and everything cleaned and sanitized is 4 hours for a 5 gallon batch.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use a 10 gallon brew kettle, king cooker burner, and a homemade BIAB bag sewn by the missus. I started using a homemade stir plate, and double-milled using my ugly Corona mill. I chill using a homemade immersion chiller. Since this pic, I've also added a zapap batch sparge, and of course I squeeze my bag. This was taken just prior to dough in on the mash for Dead Ringer.

1407374293523.jpg

Avantco 3500W induction burner and a 44 QT Bayou Classic.

Still need to mount a pulley, I hoist out by hand and let it rest in a strainer over a smaller pot.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407375254.078293.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407708045.562221.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407708057.390250.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407708068.891604.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407708079.344531.jpg

Just bought these at Home Depot for $11.68 to set up my pulley rig. I have rope at home to use and plan on finding a stud in the ceiling and mounting it there

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408368431.721652.jpg
Was totally looking into that system but this was cheaper and I got it rigged up to where I can anchor it off on a hook on my wall there.

Back