Show me your mash tun recirculation port.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasq

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm having some problems with my mash recirculation causing channeling in my grain bed. How do you all recirculate gently back to the top of the grain bed?

My current method is this side dip tube (pictured below, and it's disturbing the grain too much where the wort falls.

Any and all ideas are appreciated! Thanks!
33896_10150112077658219_561483218_7604752_4019398_n.jpg

I can't help much with a permanent fix, but I avoid channeling in my manually recirculated mash tun by floating a large flat tupperware container on top of the grain-bed and pouring on top of it.

not unless you by me dinner first, sir!

:ban::eek::D

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I really like that a lot ebeer. I was worried grains may clog something like that, but i see the larger holes take care of it.

If anyone has any other gadgets, post em up!

Here's my cpvc version:

4251170431_f4b755cfc0_z.jpg

4244565083_10ee104333_z.jpg

It's fully adjustable vertically for varying batch sizes.

Occasionally stirring the mash helps tremendously to reduce channeling. IMO and FYI, it's especially important to stir the mash well just prior to lautering. Stir the mash well then circulate slowly for about 5 more minutes or until the wort is running clear again, then begin lautering. My efficiency jumped up considerably since I began using this procedure regularly.

Copper tubing comes in coils at my local hardware store, and you buy however much you want. It was pretty close to start with. Where necessary I just held it in my hands and made very small adjustments until it looked right.

I'm sure there's no real advantage a circle. You could just as easily buy yourself 4 elbows and do it in a square.

I can't help much with a permanent fix, but I avoid channeling in my manually recirculated mash tun by floating a large flat tupperware container on top of the grain-bed and pouring on top of it.

I use the lid of a plastic folgers can that I move around the grain bed. It has a small lip that spreads the liquid out away from the edges.

Back