Show me how you drain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorcoach

Reaction score
Your bag- grain bag that is. Building my basement e-biab set up and installed wiring and my hood today. Besides sliding the pot over to the side, I can't figure out a good way to hook up a system to drain the grain bag ( I actually will have a bag inside a strainer pot as it is a legacy Pico Brew system- the prior Brew Boss). So, show me your set up!!

I brew in my garage, using a ratchet pulley I bought from Wilserbrewer.

hoist2_zps7379e840.jpg

hoist1_zps8bc01c2b.jpg

I would love to be able to use the pulley but I have a range hood over the pot to vent the steam. I am trying to figure something out so I will not have to move the pot (15 gallon). Thought about creating a base on drawer slides. Slide it to the side for mashing and draining. Slide it closed and centered under the hood for the boil. That way I could use the ratcheting pulley.

I have a post next to my brew kettle I use a clamp to hold the rope.

7100JiDea-L._SX425_.jpg

@gtmaus- so your vent is through the side or back of your hood, not the top? You have an in line fan?

@gtmaus what is the fan you are using. I have about the same run and I need something with more pull.

I picked this one up on Amazon for $89 I believe. Couldn't be happier with it

Tjernlund M-6 Inline Duct Booster Fan, Hydroponic Blower Heat Air Conditioning Vent Exhaust, 530 CFM, 6"

Holy ****ke, that is some nice looking duct work there gtmaus! 500 plus cfm- I bet you have no trouble getting that steam out.

The forklift just using the bag strings gives me total confidence in the stitching and the string. I thought it seemed a little sketchy when I finally used it yesterday.

The forklift just using the bag strings gives me total confidence in the stitching and the string. I thought it seemed a little sketchy when I finally used it yesterday.

You haven't seen Wilsers weight tests then. 150 lbs of iron in them suckas.

I use bucket-in-bucket (Zapap). Just pull the bag out of the kettle & drop in the top bucket. It's my old bottling bucket I haven't used in years. Since this photo was taken, I have added 2X the holes.

Zapap02-20150316.jpg

Zapap01-20150316.jpg

I use bucket-in-bucket (Zapap). Just pull the bag out of the kettle & drop in the top bucket. It's my old bottling bucket I haven't used in years. Since this photo was taken, I have added 2X the holes.

great idea and you could also use a 3rd bucket to press the bag and squeeze it out.. :mug:

I was going to suggest a rolling arm like a cherry picker or even just a swing-arm attached to the wall but that gantry is even easier. It could be made of unistrut or wood or welded up bed frame.

Have not built my stand yet. Was also thinking I could just put it on locking casters and the whole stand/table could roll to the side or forward to a spot I could hang a ratcheting pulley from.

@gtmaus- Thanks! One click makes it too easy sometimes.
I see some modifications in my future.
So I don't totally hijack this thread.
Chain hanging from floor joist through the hood with a ratchet pulley.

image.jpg

I use a pulley to hoist my basket up high enough to slide a grill grate under then drop the basket down to let it drain and squeeze.

Is that a basket from Utah biodiesel?
Just ordered mine today. How do you like it compared to a bag?

Is that a basket from Utah biodiesel?
Just ordered mine today. How do you like it compared to a bag?

Its from Arborfab.com. 400 micron, works great. I like it better than a bag, easier to squeeze with the round plate I had him make, easier to dump the grains and clean, also much more durable and should last a long time.

Sweet. Same company I ordered mine from. I picked up the press plate too. Super excited for it to arrive

Latest posts

Back