Should you do a malo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregbathurst

Reaction score
I thought i would start this thread as a discussion of malo-lactic fermentation in home winemaking. I'm not advocating everyone needs to do a malo, for most white wines it isn't necessary or desirable and I don't know enough about fruit wines to comment (though I think it may improve some). With cider I think it is important but for wine it is an option that should be considered.
I have tasted shiraz (syrah) from the same wine but 2 different barrels, one had been put through malo and the other hadn't. There was a definite difference in taste and it was favourable after malo. It is a way of making your reds taste more "professional", more like the stuff in the shops.
It is also used to help degas the wine because wine that goes through a wild malo can keep giving off gas months or years after primary, and red wines almost never taste good with CO2 dissolved. When a wine goes through a malo it can be very gentle and seem like normal degassing going on for a long time, so you may not be aware what is happening. If you do a malo you can pitch the culture during primary so that proper degassing can begin about 6 weeks after starting, and doesn't need to take years. If you have had a wild malo, not only can it produce CO2 but also off flavours like band-aid which can ruin the wine.

On the other hand it can be difficult to get a malo to start, and hard to know when it is finished. Winemakers find this very frustrating because you can't add SO2 until malo is over so the wine is temporarily unprotected, yet they still do it. The culture is also expensive and needs to be kept in the freezer, so it needs to be shipped properly or will deteriorate. I don't know much about the different cultures available but you could probably experiment with different cultures to see which gives the best flavour.

I do a malo because I want to make my wine more stable and like the improvement in flavour. I would like to hear other opinions from people who have tried it or at least provoke people to do their own experiments, especially if people are making french-style red wines.

Can MLF be started on an otherwise finished wine/mead/cider that finished up at 14% ABV? Is there an average alcohol tolerance or do the cultures' tolerance vary with the strain, similar to yeast? Regards, GF.

Yes, you can do a malo at 14%, but if you go much above that it will get harder. Most wineries do it after primary has finished but if you are going for a high ABV it is probably better to do it half way through primary when the conditions are more favourable. With a high ABV cider I don't see any problems because cider has so much malic acid.
The other considerations are an even temp around 65-70 and a pH above 3.2, shouldn't be a problem for most people. Also low s02 is needed.
I think the properties of the cultures do vary similar to yeast, but not all cultures are available in the small quantities home winemakers use.

I don't know that one. The mass of bacteria must be a small fraction of the yeast, you don't get the thick layers of cells dropping out you get with yeast but i think there is probably some sort of deposit.

I do MLF only on grape wines. I have some catawba grapes that I did MLF on two years ago, and while the wine was better when it was young than the non-MLF wine, it didn't improve as much as the non-MLF. I did do some other acid reduction, though, with calcium carbonate, so that could be the reason it now leans towards bland.

I've noticed that other wines that undergo MLF, particularly apple which is primarily malic acid in the wine, tend to be "flabby" and lose some of their bite. Then, I'm adding tannin but it's still not as good. I think I'll continue to only do MLF on grape wines.

I think high ABV apfelwein probably could use some acidity to balance the alcohol, but with cider at 6-7% I find the sourness of the malic acid too much. Its a matter of taste.

With apfelwein the problem would be stopping a malo from happening, if you keep the sulphite up after primary you would be ok but the natural bacteria are very common, especially in places where wine is made often. Any apfelwein left unprotected would be likely to start a natural malo.

I think high ABV apfelwein probably could use some acidity to balance the alcohol, but with cider at 6-7% I find the sourness of the malic acid too much. Its a matter of taste.

With apfelwein the problem would be stopping a malo from happening, if you keep the sulphite up after primary you would be ok but the natural bacteria are very common, especially in places where wine is made often. Any apfelwein left unprotected would be likely to start a natural malo.

I don't know, though- I've actually never heard of one person who made apfelwein have spontaneous MLF. Could it be because most of them use pasteurized juice?

Pasteurised juice and good hygiene would help. So long as sulphite is added before bottling there shouldn't be a problem and I'm sure most people use sulphites in apfelwein. Pigments are the problem in red wine, they gradually deactivate the sulphite, but cider doesn't have this problem. MLF in secondary wouldn't really be noticed, it would just be put down to degassing. People who have problems with degassing are probably having MLF. I have seen numerous posts on these forums about fermentation mysteriously restarting after a SG reading below zero.

Latest posts

Back