Should it be boiled all way down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Hawdu folks,

I'm going to brew Honey Balz Spring Wheat and a bit baffled.
The recipe seems called for 60 minutes of boiling
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 29.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

Fermentables
6lbs Wheat LME
1lb Orange Blossom Honey
.5lb Honey Malt

Hops
.75oz Mt. Hood (6 AAU) @ 60 min
.75oz Mt. Hood (6 AAU) @ 20 min
1oz Centennial @ 1 min

The last version which I am going to brew looks like
Just brewed up a variation of this for a competition. All late hops.

Fermentables
5lbs Wheat DME
.5lb Honey Malt
1lb Honey (added @ flameout)

Hops
1oz Amarillo (9 AAU) @ 10min
1oz Citra (14.1 AAU) @ 10min
1oz Amarillo (9 AAU) @ 5min
1oz Citra (14.1 AAU) @ 5min
1oz Amarillo Dry-Hop

Sorry for my stupid question, but does it mean what 60 min boil is not valid anymore and I do not need to boil more that 10 minutes? To me it looks like that, but...
please advise, just to be sure how to handle such cases in the future :)

Thanks!

Hawdu folks,

I'm going to brew Honey Balz Spring Wheat and a bit baffled.
The recipe seems called for 60 minutes of boiling

The last version which I am going to brew looks like

Sorry for my stupid question, but does it mean what 60 min boil is not valid anymore and I do not need to boil more that 10 minutes? To me it looks like that, but...
please advise, just to be sure how to handle such cases in the future :)

Thanks!
The second seems to have no bittering hops. Which for hop utilization is usually why you boil for 60 min.

It could mean:
Start boil: 0 mins
add 1 oz Amarillo (10mins)
add 1 oz Citra (20mins)
add 1oz Amarillo (25min)
add 1oz Citra (30min)

Taking a stab in the dark here. You still would need some sort of overall boil time.

Since you're using DME, you could just steep the honey malt for 30-40 mins, remove, and then bring to a boil and then immediately add the DME. Make sure the DME is fully dissolved and brought back to a boil, before adding the hops. Basically, you can completely avoid boiling for the full 60 minutes here since you don't have any early additions - just add the 10 min hops once the DME is back to boiling, then the 5 minute hops, 5 minutes later. 5 mins from then and it's flameout!

Note that you don't really need to boil DME much longer than 5-10 minutes as you're only doing so to sanitize. Hop utilization for early additions may be reduced a little, but in this case you don't have bittering additions (and if you did you could compensate by increasing that hop charge). Generally speaking adding DME early in a boil is unnecessary and can affect the final color (darker than expected).

Clearly for some of the flavor hops you need some boil time BUT does DME in fact need boiling to remove DMS? Does it need boiling to remove proteins? Not asking this because I think I know the answer. I don't. Does DME in fact need the same kind of processing as all grain after the mash or does the process of making DME or LME remove the need to boil the extract (the extract should be bacteria free and not need pasteurization or sanitization).

During processing, DME a has gone through that process, so I don't believe you have to worry about DMS at all. A lot of extract brewers add DME very late in the boil, and sometimes just at flameout. Hop utilization is the thing to be concerned with in those instances, but that can be compensated for by adjusting your additions upwards.

A lot of extract brewers add DME very late in the boil, and sometimes just at flameout.

Even more, I got some decent batches which recipes called just to dissolve some amount of DME in hot water, no boiling at all, like most K&K recipes used to use it.

It could mean:
Start boil: 0 mins
add 1 oz Amarillo (10mins)
add 1 oz Citra (20mins)
add 1oz Amarillo (25min)
add 1oz Citra (30min)

:confused:

I thought it must be
0 min
add 1oz Amarillo + 1 oz Citra
5 min
add 1oz Amarillo + 1 oz Citra
5 min
flameout

Or is such notation
1oz Amarillo (9 AAU) @ 10min
1oz Citra (14.1 AAU) @ 10min
1oz Amarillo (9 AAU) @ 5min
1oz Citra (14.1 AAU) @ 5min

really calls for 30 mins boiling of the first Amarillo ??

Edit: Withdraw my own latter question.
Hop Schedule

After the grain bill, you'll find the hop schedule. A hop schedule tells you the amount of hops to use, what variety they should be and how long they should be boiled.

When reading a hop schedule, the number of minutes listed is the amount of time they should be in the boil. This can be confusing the first time you go through a recipe. If you're doing a typical 60-minute boil and the hop schedule says "2 ounces Magnum 45 minutes", this means you need to add the Magnum hops 15 minutes after the boil starts so that they boil for a total of 45 minutes.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/...rew-recipe-hop-schedule-grain-bill-terms.html

Last edited:
During processing, DME a has gone through that process, so I don't believe you have to worry about DMS at all. A lot of extract brewers add DME very late in the boil, and sometimes just at flameout. Hop utilization is the thing to be concerned with in those instances, but that can be compensated for by adjusting your additions upwards.

and the hot break? If neither DME nor LME need to be boiled (except for bittering or flavoring hops) then the amount of time needed before you can pitch the yeast is considerably reduced. Strikes me that folk who use extract can make a tea from the hops and boil that liquor for 60 minutes and then add the tea to the DME/LME on brew day...

Back