Should I toss this (washed yeast)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Washed this just a few days ago, 2nd washing of this yeast. Unfortunately it was a bit of a rush job due to time constraints. Saw the white layer the next morning. FWIW, the Irish red it had been feasting on looks, smells, and tastes just fine based on hydro sample. Any thoughts from the group appreciated. WLP004 - Irish Ale

IMG_0462.jpg

I think it's fine slurry. It looks to be a fair amount of slurry/trub/yeast with some cleaner (white) yeast on top. It takes a fairly low viscosity when washing to get a good trub/particle/hop break, but you'll lose a lot of viable yeast in the break material. I'd say you're good with what you got.

Edit: The white stuff is the best stuff - leave it in there :D

Thanks for the feedback. Would sanitizing a spoon and trying to get the white stuff out be a dumb idea?
Dumb idea only because the white stuff is the yeast! And then all your work would be lost. StPug makes good points. Just make a nice starter with a little of the slurry the next time your brew and you will be golden.

Chop and Brew has a video on yeast washing, very helpful.

I just started to wash my yeast, prefer to spend my $$$ on more ingredients!

It looks like it needs more washing to be honnest. Clean up a few more jars and wash it more!

youl end up with a nice little sample of yeast and you can starter that up to make your next batch.

It looks like it needs more washing to be honnest. Clean up a few more jars and wash it more!

youl end up with a nice little sample of yeast and you can starter that up to make your next batch.
Yeah I wouldn't doubt it. I'll do that.

Latest posts

Back