Should I store Starsan in Food Grade Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajlee

Reaction score
I am making the switch from Idophor to Starsan this weekend. I have read here that Starsan can be reused. Is it important that I store it in food grade plastic. I'm thinking yes, but then I hear about people keeping it in spray bottles so maybe no...

Also, can anyone who reuses Starsan recommend some PH strips that are easy to read.

Thanks!

According to 5 Star, you can leave it in a spray bottle indefinitely, so I'm assuming it's fine. I've been leaving a regular 5 gal bucket full. I haven't been keeping the bucket sanitizer all that long so I haven't been testing it yet. Probably should.

Distilled water will allow it to keep almost indefinitely. When it gets cloudy (which will happen fairly quickly with tap water), it's time to toss it.

Distilled water will allow it to keep almost indefinitely. When it gets cloudy (which will happen fairly quickly with tap water), it's time to toss it.

I thought a lot of studies have been done on this no? if the pH is still acidic, then it's still useable?

my star san never goes cloudy.. but it does give off rotten egg sulfur smell after about a week of sitting.. i would sooo go the peroxide route if it didn't leave such a nasty film behind..

if the pH is under 2.5 or so, its good to use regardless of the color, cloudiness, taste, odor, weight, viscosity, temperature, anything. none of that matters.

the only go/no-go indicator is pH.

I suppose that's logical. I'll test my swamp cooler later with my meter to see what the pH is. The starsan'd water around the bucket is very cloudy right now. I was told that cloudiness meant it had lost its potency. Hmm.

if the pH is under 2.5 or so, its good to use regardless of the color, cloudiness, taste, odor, weight, viscosity, temperature, anything. none of that matters.

the only go/no-go indicator is pH.

Well I did test the pH of the swamp cooler's water (with the Starsan). Even though it's cloudy, it still read a 2.5.

I keep mine in a kitty litter bucket. It keeps just fine. I tend to rotate it out every couple of brews.

Back