Should I Step Up DuPont Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
About a week ago I procured a bottle of Saison DuPont with the goal of growing up the dregs for my own DuPont clone (I love doing this because the yeast comes with free beer!). I poured off most of the beer and poured the rest into a 200ml starter at about 1.020. In about three days there was a thin layer of white yeast and the tiny krausen had fallen. At that point I stepped it up to a 400ml starter at about 1.030 and there were significant signs of fermentation within hours. It's now three days later and it looks to have slowed and smells just like DuPont.

My question is this: At this point can I step it up to a full 1000ml starter of 1.040 and pitch that into the 5 gallon batch (1.055) or should I do another step to 600ml? I have no time frame so another step is no problem. Thanks in advance!

I have done the same with great results. Go for the full 1000ml at 1040, that damn yeast will kill the starter

Back