Should I Secondary this Big OG beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hey everyone I made a belgian dubbel, 3ish gallons into a 5 gallon fermenter, and the OG was 1.079. Now after two and a half weeks it just measured 1.014.

I have a 3 gallon carboy should I secondary this or just cold crash for a week and bottle condition (this is what im leaning towards). This is my first big beer. I may fill the secondary pretty well but I dont know if it will fill to the top.

talk about opening a can of worms. You should be in my garage when I brew with my nephew. he is in the secondary camp. I'm in the long primary camp. totally up to you but I tend to let it sit in primary for a month then bottle if FG is stable for 2-3 days. by then its mostly settled and very clear.

Normally I do just primary but wasn't sure if the higher OG needed any secondary

I've made a couple big beers and I've always let them sit in the primary for a month or more and then bottled. I just did that with a big Belgian blonde and this last week (week 3) made all the difference in the world in beer clarity.

I almost bottled last weekend and then that got overcome by events (football). On Tuesday I did my daily check of the carboy and was amazed how much clearer the beer got literally overnight. Let it sit a couple more weeks in the primary instead of cold crashing, then bottle age it.

Anecdotal: All the beers I've done this way have been huge hits with my friends.

Latest posts

Back