Should I rehydrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydster

Reaction score
Just in general. You know? I mean, let's say I just got a new fish tank. I should probably rehydrate before I pitch my fish I think. No? What about when I walk my dog, though? See, these are the tough questions. Do I rehydrate the fleas so they don't succumb to the osmotic shock of the dog falling into the ocean when she wanders to close to the edge of the dock? And when I drive to the LHBS, should I be worrying if I forget to rehydrate the plutonium rod compartment?

I'm just lost. I need some guidance. When do you rehydrate?

You really shouldn't dehydrate your fish. Not unless you want a tasty snack. In that case, you really shouldn't rehydrate them. It's pretty much a one way street with the fish.

It's the tank that I wanted to rehydrate. But you raise a good point... I should seriously consider the fish. A starter would probably be good for them. I don't need billions, just 20 or 30. Will a 5 gallon starter be enough?

I would consider making a 1 gal starter for each fish. You wouldn't want them to start getting off-flavors from each other. I mean 5 gal and all of those fish chomping away and making new little fish.....you're asking for trouble before you even pitch. If you're looking for something a little funky, then go for it. Watch your temps though.

No time for that. I'll just direct pitch the fish into the dry tank before I leave for my 3 month vacation. They should be fine for a few months I think. Wonder if I'll need a blow-off tube?

No time for that. I'll just direct pitch the fish into the dry tank before I leave for my 3 month vacation. They should be fine for a few months I think. Wonder if I'll need a blow-off tube?

You're gonna need to make it airtight. You're gonna have some serious rhino fart smells when those critters start dying off, which I'm pretty sure will happen before you even leave.

Be sure to sanitize well. You do not want them to become accidental sours. We especially do not want to see threads asking if you ruined your fish tank and got an infection.

I use hand sanitizer for all of my sanitation. But only after a thorough cleaning with my wife's honey-lilac-orange-blossom-rose-patchouli shampoo. I feel like the hand sanitizer is good because it sanitizes (duh) and it has alcohol in it (otherwise why would kids be buying that stuff and chugging it, right?) so it must make my beer much better and more potent. On top of that, the orange blossom soap really complements the citrus flavors I get from dry hopping all of my beers with 8 oz of cascade hops plus fish.

I rehydrated some dog food earlier. It has turned to mush and my dog refuses to eat it now. She did, however, take delight in consuming the still-not-properly-rehydrated turtle food pellets. Interestingly enough, the turtle won't even consider them until they have been rehydrated.

I am perplexed.

Those turtle pellets had some funky off-smells. I can't bear to taste them, but I am pretty sure they have the phenolic-off-flavor gene that Lagunita's was looking for in Sumpin' Wild.

I use hand sanitizer for all of my sanitation. But only after a thorough cleaning with my wife's honey-lilac-orange-blossom-rose-patchouli shampoo. I feel like the hand sanitizer is good because it sanitizes (duh) and it has alcohol in it (otherwise why would kids be buying that stuff and chugging it, right?) so it must make my beer much better and more potent. On top of that, the orange blossom soap really complements the citrus flavors I get from dry hopping all of my beers with 8 oz of cascade hops plus fish.

I rehydrated some dog food earlier. It has turned to mush and my dog refuses to eat it now. She did, however, take delight in consuming the still-not-properly-rehydrated turtle food pellets. Interestingly enough, the turtle won't even consider them until they have been rehydrated.

I am perplexed.

Those turtle pellets had some funky off-smells. I can't bear to taste them, but I am pretty sure they have the phenolic-off-flavor gene that Lagunita's was looking for in Sumpin' Wild.

So you're making a mead. This would have been good info 12 pages ago.

Rehydrated some crickets that seemed like they were too crunchy, with noteworthy results. Half of them died, and the other half was able to swim to the side of the dish to find safety. They proceed to eat only 2/3 of the meal I set out for them. I bet they taste like banana and clove, but I haven't completed my turtle brain wave decoder and can't bring myself to eat the crickets, so that is pure conjecture.

Back